MFP Runner's Club

Options
Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
Morning Hoofers! :drinker:

Got my 4-miles in this morning!! Did a lot better on my hill work!! {{WOOOOOT}} :drinker:

Question: How many of you run with pepper spray?

Have a great run!! :smile:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Got my 4-miles in this morning!! Did a lot better on my hill work!! {{WOOOOOT}} :drinker:

• star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    taking another day off from running :grumble: shin splints are still getting the best of me. but that 45 minute spinning class this morning kicked my butt just the same!

as for running with pepper spray, I've never done that. I usually run outside in a very public place while it's still light out...but it might not be a bad idea.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    star139, you and I are in the same boat with the shin splints.

I was going to do spinning but I fell during my trail run on Sunday and my knee hurt so I stayed in bed. I know, I know. Maybe I will do something later tonight since I just got a call from hubby that he has to work a double.

We don't run with pepper spray but someone always has a cell phone. I don't generally run by myself. I run with a group and no one is allowed to run by themselves.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you!:flowerforyou:

I ran 4 miles this morning too. Yesterday it was 69 degrees. Today it is 44 degrees!

I have been meaning to get some pepper spray or something b/c I have been chased by unfriendly dogs occasionally. I tried to carrying a whistle. That had mixed results with the bad doggies so I stopped carrying it. Let us know if you decide to get a pepper spray.

Way to go Runners!
    -Kechie.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    shin splints are the devil!! i'm hoping I can start up again soon, seeing as I need to start my training for a half marathon (that ticket is non-refundable!!)

Sherry I don't blame you for staying in bed! Knee pain is quite possibly the worst when you're trying to run. To be honest, falling when I'm outside is a huge fear! What do you do to help your legs? I try using that foam roller at the gym and icing them....

Shannon...I always run with a cell phone too, just in case of an emergency. They also have ID bands you can wear while you run in case anything happens.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    shin splints are the devil!! i'm hoping I can start up again soon, seeing as I need to start my training for a half marathon (that ticket is non-refundable!!)

Sherry I don't blame you for staying in bed! Knee pain is quite possibly the worst when you're trying to run. To be honest, falling when I'm outside is a huge fear! What do you do to help your legs? I try using that foam roller at the gym and icing them....

Shannon...I always run with a cell phone too, just in case of an emergency. They also have ID bands you can wear while you run in case anything happens.

Right now a lot of ice, ibeprofen (sp) and stretching. My chiropractor told me to take marbles and pick them up with my toes and place them in a cup. This would strengthen those little front shin muscles and help out. I also massage my calves too. This helps. One stretch I do is when I am walking up my stairs at home, I put my toes on the edge of the step and let the rest of my foot hang off and push down ever so slightly to get a good calf stretch. I did that today and I got some strange looks for the kids.

As for the fall on the trail, I did a tuck and roll but not before my knee hit the ground. It was a very graceful fall I was told. :tongue:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Great Track work out this morning. 1.5 mile warm up run to the track, then 400, 800, 1600, 800, 400, then the 1.5 miles home. Strong winds, but about 60 degrees, so a comfortable run and pushed the pace a bit today.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Get better soon Sherry & Star!

It is comforting to know that I am not the only runner who has fallen down. I thought taking a tumble was normal for runners until I took a survey among my in real life running buddies. Only one other person has fallen down as an adult and to make matters worse the others gave me a very puzzled look when I told them that I had fallen down.

I would recommend RoadID. I wear mine every time I go out for a run. I don't want to end up unclaimed in the morgue.:laugh:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I would recommend RoadID. I wear mine every time I go out for a run. I don't want to end up unclaimed in the morgue.:laugh:

I've got one of those too that I wear while running. I call it my "Road Kill ID". :laugh:

I do need to get some pepper spray, definitely. I run by myself most of the time, and there's been a few times where I've been uncomfortable.
  • kechiemc
    Options

I've got one of those too that I wear while running. I call it my "Road Kill ID". :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    7.5 miles for me today! Oh, and I just signed up for a relay race across the state of FL. It's 191 miles and we're going to do it "ultra style" which is a 6 person team instead of a 12 person team. It's not until November, so I can have a nice long time to FREAK out and stress over it!!!
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    Lately I have just been stalking this thread, but if Shannon and Kechie are back I might as well join in too! 3 miles for me this morning and now I am off to the gym for a weight work out.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    7.5 miles for me today! Oh, and I just signed up for a relay race across the state of FL. It's 191 miles and we're going to do it "ultra style" which is a 6 person team instead of a 12 person team. It's not until November, so I can have a nice long time to FREAK out and stress over it!!!

Good for you! GO KATIE GO
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Lately I have just been stalking this thread, but if Shannon and Kechie are back I might as well join in too! 3 miles for me this morning and now I am off to the gym for a weight work out.

Way to to JD! Hope you had a great workout at the gym!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I run with pepper spray, I was attacked last October by two 17 year old boys that came up behind me on bikes. I saw their shadows and moved to my left hand side, when they wouldn't pass me, I knew something was up. I run a rural route, it's a new development being built up amongst farm land, there's sidewalks here and there, nothing finished yet....so not much help available, anyway long story short, it was a really bad expererience, I have a stab wound to my lower stomach that took forever to heal. I no longer run in rural areas, I drive more into the city, a bit of an inconvenience, but well worth keeping my life over. I bought the pepper spray right after and i've only had to use it once on of all things a wild pig while I was in Florida running.......I beg all "alone" runners, please protect yourselves, carry a whistle as well, as silly as it sounds that's what helped me that evening, a stupid dollar store whistle, that made a dog bark, and the owner of a nearby farm house come out to see why his dog was barking, those kids were going to leave me for dead, I just knew it.....hot damn, i'm a freaking bummer, sorry all! Just run safe, please!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    omg....I got so freaking emotional, stupid there, I didn't tell you my miles....5.5 today, it was supposed to be a non run day, but it was too beautiful out, to not run.
  • chinadolly
    Options

I run with pepper spray, I was attacked last October by two 17 year old boys that came up behind me on bikes. I saw their shadows and moved to my left hand side, when they wouldn't pass me, I knew something was up. I run a rural route, it's a new development being built up amongst farm land, there's sidewalks here and there, nothing finished yet....so not much help available, anyway long story short, it was a really bad expererience, I have a stab wound to my lower stomach that took forever to heal. I no longer run in rural areas, I drive more into the city, a bit of an inconvenience, but well worth keeping my life over. I bought the pepper spray right after and i've only had to use it once on of all things a wild pig while I was in Florida running.......I beg all "alone" runners, please protect yourselves, carry a whistle as well, as silly as it sounds that's what helped me that evening, a stupid dollar store whistle, that made a dog bark, and the owner of a nearby farm house come out to see why his dog was barking, those kids were going to leave me for dead, I just knew it.....hot damn, i'm a freaking bummer, sorry all! Just run safe, please!

That is horrible! we're they caught and punished? I hope so, what is wrong with people?????
  • SherryRH
    Options
    molsongirl, thanks for sharing your story. It is a good reminder that you should not run alone if you can help it and if you do run alone try to protect yourself.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Late checking in, but I did run!! Still babying my sore left calf, but feeling better!!

I did a 2 mile warmup on the elliptical and then hit the TM for my last speedwork run before my half marathon on Sat!!! 4 x 400 @ 7:30 pace!! YAY!!! :bigsmile:

I don't run with pepper spray, but I never run alone. I always run with friends or on the treadmill. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    omg....I got so freaking emotional, stupid there, I didn't tell you my miles....5.5 today, it was supposed to be a non run day, but it was too beautiful out, to not run.

Thanks for sharing your story!!! I'm glad that you are ok! :flowerforyou: