Stomach fat

Options
How did you (or do you) tackle the fat in your stomach? I have been dieting since July, have lost 46 lbs and am 9 lbs. away from my goal but I still have a lot of weight in my stomach (quite a pot belly). I work out several times a week (boxing and zumba) and am working on getting off the 9 lbs. I am wondering if I need to reset my goal lower than 120, should be doing other types of exercise, etc? I am just over 5'3 and currently 129 lbs and have a medium/large build and a D chest.

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Since fat distribution is genetic, there is nothing you can do to get rid of it other than to simply keep burning fat away.
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This is a great question...I have been working out since Nov. 7 daily and I have lost inches from my back..waist (belly button) arms, legs..but can't get that belly fat to come off at all. I have done all kinds of workouts and I just wonder if it is ever going to go away. TurboFire was great for me on the waist (bellybutton) & back part...just need that underneath belly to go away.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Strength training.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    This won't target fat, but to help reduce the bloated look make sure to drink plenty of water and eat enough fiber. It really does help.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce! All you can do is work to get your overall bodyfat lower and the rest will eventually follow! When and where it goes is determined by genetics
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Strength training
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling works well if you have fairly low body fat, worked for me.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    strength training ,especially targeting the big muscle groups.. doing lunges and squats will help target belly fat way more than crunches for instance..do some research on getting rid of belly fat..there is gobs of info out there
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How did you (or do you) tackle the fat in your stomach? I have been dieting since July, have lost 46 lbs and am 9 lbs. away from my goal but I still have a lot of weight in my stomach (quite a pot belly). I work out several times a week (boxing and zumba) and am working on getting off the 9 lbs. I am wondering if I need to reset my goal lower than 120, should be doing other types of exercise, etc? I am just over 5'3 and currently 129 lbs and have a medium/large build and a D chest.

Cardio will not give you the body you are looking for. Lift heavy weights and keep a clean diet.

I am roughly the same height/weight as you.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. However you can make the fat go away while at the same time maintaining the muscle underneath by regular strength training with heavy weights and keeping your protein levels high. It'll make for a 'firmer' bottom :)

See this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415010-what-is-the-point-of-weight-training-while-you-re-in-calorie
    and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/401264-this-is-why-i-started-strength-training-with-heavy-weights-a
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Strength training and a very low deficit. If you focus on eating clean and have a deficit of 10% - 20%, with sufficient protein, you can work on increasing lean muscle mass or maintain it, and cutting body fat. And if you can't do it on your own, programs like P90X(2) work great.
  • Wrigleymom
    Options
    What is clean eating?
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Look up "Wheat belly" the book - might be the reason?
  • mscrystal13
    Options
    I have the same problem. What works for me is alot of cardio. I stay away from carbonated beverages and reduce my salt intake. Also, once you get the right amount of cardio, which is at least 30-45 minutes at 15 incline 3.0 mph on treadmill, or quickstart on the elliptical trainer, you need to try pilates or yoga. pilates helps you build a stronger core, so you will burn fat faster overall. Also try sitting on a stability ball while sitting at your desk at work. The stomach is usually the last thing to go for me, but you have to put in that extra effort and dont look at the scale. look at your diet, and mix up your workouts. maybe hire a trainer to get you over the last hurdle.
  • davepavone
    Options
    Stomach seems to be the hardest to burn and I think it always gos last. So Keep up the hard work you will get there
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Strength training.

This. And continue losing fat. Belly fat may be the last to go for most people, but eventually it will go.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Strength training.

This. And continue losing fat. Belly fat may be the last to go for most people, but eventually it will go.

this. focus on your legs. free weight exercises like deadlifts and squats are great way to strengthen your legs, and they have the added benefit of strengthening your core too.
  • DannieR
    Options
    Stay away from sugars. Everyone is correct...you can't target, only continue to lose. Your body determines where its going to burn it off first. Eat foods that are high in protein, low in sugars, contain 'good fats' (nuts, cheese, etc...) and stay away from complex carbs at night. If you find yourself heading for a bowl of ice cream or a piece of chocolate, make some peanut butter toast instead. Strength training breaks down your muscle, which grows as it repairs itself. In order to do that it gains its energy by burning fat. Core strengthening achieves that AND pulls in the ab, oblique and back muscles that are relaxing and causing the 'pot belly' effect you describe. Keep working hard, it sounds like you're doing great!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you adjust your diet in order to help reduce your body fat percentage. You can lift and exercise all you want but if your BF% is high you will not see the results
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is clean eating?

Staying away from refined carbs and high sodium foods. Also, eating more natural foods (stuff not found a box or package) can generally help.