do you add the calories from spices?

Options
2»

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I only do sometimes so I know how I prepped something for the next time or if it has sodium since I track that. I'm not worried about the calories, which are minimal. I also track artificial sweeteners/diet drinks, because that's something I want to watch my intake of, as well.

one thing I probably should track but don't is sugarless gum ^ mostly for the above reason of AS :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I do. Even ones that don't have calories so I can watch my sodium.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I only do sometimes so I know how I prepped something for the next time or if it has sodium since I track that. I'm not worried about the calories, which are minimal. I also track artificial sweeteners/diet drinks, because that's something I want to watch my intake of, as well.

one thing I probably should track but don't is sugarless gum ^ mostly for the above reason of AS :)

Same.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you are watching your sodium intake and the spice has significant sodium in it, then yes. If not and you are using miniscule amounts, I wouldn't worry about it.

For example: a teaspoon of cinnamon has about 6 calories, that is about 2.6 grams. You can find accurate information from the USDA site for these:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

:flowerforyou:
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I count them if it has either calories or sodium. If it has neither, I don't bother tracking it.
  • sheschemes
    Options
    I add them because I'm tracking all the changes I'm making to my eating habits. This includes things like sodium or just changes in taste. You probably don't need to bother if you're just looking at the calories.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I never count them unless I am using a large amount that I will likely eat in one sitting (ie. a tbsp or two of chili powder in my pot of chili I might count). I would never worry about sprinking some cumin into my stirfry or curry though. I don't think I use enough to add up to much, so I don't waste my time. It has never hindered me in the past, so I just treat it as nothing really.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm doing the Cinnamon Challenge.
  • Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    hmmm...having just decided to really watch sodium intake, I need to closely examine labels on spices...cracked pepper is my current fave....

I could use fresh herbs more, but I don't use them fast enough when I purchase them and end up tossing a fair amount.
    I have a very black thumb when it comes to growing them...

having just thought about that, I recall that you can freeze some fresh herbs...hmmm

going to spice rack to check labels now....and looking up which fresh herbs freeze well....

Interesting post!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Well jeez... how much are you putting in at a time? I would never add spices in unless I was adding like 2 cups worth of fresh parsley or something.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    i don't log them, but I try to stay aware of the sodium content in what i use
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Not really. I do for chili mix, taco mix, etc. but that's about it.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add the spices when I'm entering a recipe, just so that they are there if I ever need to look that recipe up again, not because I'm concerned about the measly 5 calories they might add.

I don't log them individually in my diary, because I figure a couple dashes of garlic powder, chili powder, or whatever on my chicken isn't going to hurt anything.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I only ever log spice blends that have salt or other things in it. Straight up spices and herbs I don't count.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I look at SODIUM content but otherwise I don't count the calories.