ZUMBA

Options
2»

Replies

• aparker36
    aparker36 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just remember, even the wrong moves burn calories, have fun with it. I do it once a week at lunchtime with my coworkers...talk about self consious, but we are all just staring at the instructor trying to follow her moves...we don't have time to worry about what other people look like. It's a great workout, and super fun! You average about 500 calories for an hour!
  • everglade_sb
    Options
    I am a woman of ample stature (LOL) .. still anyway. I also wanted to try Zumba. I bought it for Wii so I could learn the moves before doing it in public.

Working ok so far.... !:laugh:
  • ydeleon
    Options
    Just have fun and keep moving if you miss a move. NO one will judge, everyone is too busy having fun. Keep going back, you'll get the moves.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I had never really heard of Zumba before about a month ago. I went...and YES!! It is VERY fun. One thing about it, the teachers use their hands/head/etc to let you know that you will be changing or moving a different direction. Since EVERYONE is watching the instructor, you don't have to worry. NO ONE will be watching you! And I agree with an earlier comment. You can throw the arms in if you are comfortable, but work on the feetwork first. And if you can't do the exact thing the teacher is doing, just make sure you are moving.

IT IS SUPER FUN!! Word of cation--I was hooked the first time I went. I can't get enough of it.
  • ginam84
    Options
    its weird that being in a class full of woman dancing to fun music would make me scared! im def going to get in the back and give it all i got lol!

i plan on rewarding myself with a glass of wine when i get home :)
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Just have fun!! Go with the music and if you do it wrong, just keep going. Zumba is fun. Feel sexy and enjoy!
  • mchapman0524
    Options
    It's a blast! The first few times you go you'll feel a little lost but don't give up! Once you learn the basic steps used they are usually repeated in different variations in different songs. My best friend is an instructor and she lost 30 lbs since beginning Zumba! Ditch the workout, join the party!
  • SoliQ
    SoliQ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just have fun and burn those calories!!! :happy:
  • Jenn81
    Jenn81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is relax and really enjoy the energy. Zumba is about moving in any way you can. no one looks like the dvds . For me its a stress reliever , my friends and i like to goof off during the class and really let yourself be free
  • traci0620
    traci0620 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do it on my Wii and will admit it took me about 3 or 4 times to get the dances right. Just keep moving. I am now addicted and it burns tons of calories. Have fun and remember that everyone in the room started off just like you, no one just walked in and did it perfectly.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Seriously, just go and have fun. I can be one of those jerks who snickers to myself at the uncoordinated people in aerobics class, but in Zumba I had too much fun and was too concerned about how goofy I might look to even notice what other people were doing.
  • Sharito1014
    Sharito1014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep moving and have fun!!!! Its a great workout! Im soooo addicted to it! I dont want to go home at the end of the class I just want to keep going...LOL! Dont feel funny, nobody will be watching you, all eyes will be on the instructor. So, if you cant follow the steps just do your own thing. If your not too sure about it your first time go again and Im sure you will be addicted in no time :)
  • heidithebee
    Options
    Don't be afraid to stand up front. You'll have a much better view of the instructor.

And as has been said many times... have fun.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for about 3 months now and I love it! I crave it when I am on my rest days. My best advice would be... go back the 2nd day. The first day is a little difficult because you are learning new moves and it is kind of fast. Once you get the moved down it's honestly so much fun. Even on my first day I was smiling and I had no idea what I was doing. I also love the fact that I am sweating and burning over 500 cals and I never feel the need to quit!
  • lchovet
    Options
    My instructor say there are only 3 rules in Zumba

1. Have Fun
    2. Keep Moving
    3. There is no wrong in Zumba.

Also, you may try more than one class/instructor. You will find instructors ranging from boring to way over the top. Find the one that suits YOU best.

HAVE FUN !!!

Zumba addict.
  • threasarenee
    threasarenee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba occasionally with my sister. Have went about 5 times and even though I have NO dance skills, I really enjoy it. Sometimes I get lost on the movements, but just do as everyone on else is saying and keep moving. I am very self concious, but try not to worry about the other people. They are there to have fun and get healthy...the same as you! Awesome job for trying something new!!!
  • anniemeek
    Options
    My best advice is make sure you can see the instructor. Have fun and burn lots of calories.
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Stand behind someone who knows what they are doing.. you will pick it up.. everything is single, single, double.. gotta get that beat in your head.. there are always newbies in a class.. You will be fine! It's a really good time. You will leave there sweating!
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just did 15 mins on Zumba for Wii, it killed my calves, i felt the burn quick! Hopefully i can get up to 45 minutes a day quickly.
  • ginam84
    Options
    Just got home from my first night of Zumba -

I loved it! i was practically the only one that couldnt keep up or get the moves down but i just did my own thing and giggles at myself

what a rush! that was the quickest hour of my life!

thanks everyone for all your support and kind words :)