Too much protein?

Options
Is there such thing as too much protein?

If so, how much is "too much?"

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    No worries....Many in fitness community strive for 1g protein per pound of bodyweight or more.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Not that I know of! My doctor tells me I'm always allowed more protein! :smile:
  • jesserussellnoll
    Options
    I don't think there's necessarily a limit. Just remember- protein still has calories and unneeded calories can still make you gain weight. But I've been told I need about 100 grams a day, and I try to reach that, but it's not always so.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Is there such thing as too much protein?

If so, how much is "too much?"

if you eat the whole cow, that's probably too much protein.....

Seriously, the calories are probably more your concern. You'd have to eat a very high amount of protein to make it an issue. some serious body builders overdo the protein (seriously massive amounts of protein supplements) and run into possible liver issues. But that's very rare and from extremes. I don't think I could actually swallow enough meat to get myself into danger other than possibly the choking hazard.
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    yes, there is. I read it when i was checking out one of the posters at my gym. it was a while ago and i cant recall everything to detail but when i am there tomorrow i can check agian...
    i remember specificaly reading that if you eat to much protein you can gain weight. Bodybuilders eat alot of protein so i guess theres no limit if you want to get bigger..