tricep exercises

Options
what are some good strengthening exercises for the triceps/ back of the arms? they are so hard to build up, and the easiest to lose! thanks in advance!

Replies

• shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    what are some good strengthening exercises for the triceps/ back of the arms? they are so hard to build up, and the easiest to lose! thanks in advance!
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options

Try some close-handed pushups. They seem impossible at first, if you have undeveloped triceps.
    So try widening your hands just a tad just slightly inside shoulder-width apart. Then over time, close them in. Eventually you'll make a diamond shape with your thumbs and index fingers together. Then you really get the burn. Make sure to always keep your elbows in, touching your sides.

To start out, try with your knee's resting on the floor and using your upper body for the resistance.
    Believe me...a few weeks of these, you'll build up those triceps in no time.

For bicep and chest, a wider hand placement works great.

good luck.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dips
    lots of dips
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Dips between benches, close grip bench presses, tricep extensions (skullcrushers).
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    excellent! thanks guys!
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I don't have alot of furniture or a bench at home...so I bought one of those Iron Gym's at Walmart for 28bucks. Its great. You can use it for inclined pushups, dips....jam it in your wall and do situps and crunches. Then it wedges in your upper door-way for pull/chin-ups. Best 28 bucks I've ever bought.
    Check it out.
  • Starchaser
    Options
    I use a triset of dips, unilateral cable extensions and dumb bell kick backs.

Cable extensions: set the cable to just above shoulder height, hold your arm out at 90 degrees to the body, elblow pointing straight down at 90 degrees. Extend the tricep, rather than rolling at the shoulder.

For the kick backs, put left knee on a bench and right foot on the floor, and your left hand on the bench too. Holding a dumb bell in the right hand, with the elbow tight to the body, extend your arm backwards using the tricep, keeping the elbow stationary. Then switch for the other side.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    primary trcep exercises (tricep is the primary muscle worked)

Skull crushers, cable pull downs, tricep extensios, close grip push-ups, forward dips, reverse dips

secondary tricep exercises (tricep is a secondary beneficiary)

regular military pushups, bench presses, latteral pull downs, overhand grip pull ups (with assistance if needed), flys