How open are you about your weight?

Options
Just a few questions:

How many of your MFP friends are people you know IRL?

Do you show your weight in your ticker or your profile?

Here's my dilemma: I have a friend IRL who I don't want to know my weight. When my friend joined MFP, I changed my ticker from weight to pounds lost (and removed my weight from my profile). I prefer my ticker to track my actual weight though, and this friend hasn't logged into MFP in over 6 months. I'm debating whether to unfriend this person on MFP so I can change my ticker back to weight, or just leave him in my friend list and change my ticker anyway, figuring the odds he'll see it are slim.

The reason I don't want him to see it is that in the past, he's given me a hard time about being too small when I get near my weight goal, and I get sick of hearing it.

Anyway, I'd like to hear others opinions about how public or private you are about your actual weight, both here and IRL.

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'd delete him.
    Kinda sounds like someone I wouldn't want on my MFP friends list anyways.
    You need supportive people, not people that are going to discourage you from getting to YOUR goal.
    And it is YOUR goal. Not theirs.

And honestly if they haven't logged in for 6months they can't be surprised that you deleted them.

I have my sister and brother-in-law on my friends list, they know how much i weigh. I like to track my lbs though not my weight.
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    I know about 3 or 4 of MFP friends IRL (depending on whether or not they are actually using the website at the moment)...and they all know how much i weigh, but its because i specifically tell them. I also chose to use the weight lost ticker rather than actual body because i don't necessarily want people somehow judging my weight lost/gained whatever (though this worry might strictly be some paranoia of judgement).

either way, if your friend doesn't support and he hasn't even logged on in forever, then i would, in your position, delete his friendship on MFP and privatize your page so even if he did rejoin, he could not immediately see your weight. you could just change your ticker back in the situation he returns and he would never be the wiser.
  • krazzybebe03
    krazzybebe03 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    karen...forget him! Do what makes you happy and when you look too thin at your goal weight i'd tell him oh well im healthy and look and feel amazing!
  • lorri68
    lorri68 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i would unfriend him or anyone who is rude. this site is all about helping each other he sounds a complete *kitten*.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Very open, and those who don't much like it can blow....
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    who cares who knows how much you weigh? That means you have the issue with your weight and until you deal with it you will not be happy at any weight.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I don't mind telling my weight on here but IRL nobody knows how much I weigh, not even my husband!
  • jram72
    jram72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? Maybe he is just concerned and being thoughtful?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of my MFPals in real life. I have my weight loss on my ticker for ME to see my own progress though, whether anyone else looks at it or cares.

I'm not sure I see the dilemma here...If this is a "real life" friend aren't they going to physically see you at whatever weight you end up, regardless of whether they know the number on the scale? Very few of my real life friends know my actual weight or the number I am aiming for, if they asked I'd tell them but otherwise, none of their business. I don't go around asking my friends how much they weigh :) Unless you're going about this in an unhealthy manner, in which case a real friend might express concern, why do you care what they say? Also...if they haven't logged into MFP in 6 months, it's unlikely they are looking at your ticker.

In the end, this journey is about you, right? so take care of you and do what's best and healthiest for your body.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was ashamed about how much I weighed, now I'm still overweight by average standard... but I am not ashamed about my weight anymore... if a friend or an acquaintance doesn't like to know my weight, then.... they can suck on it.

lol because it's my weight and it's my freedom of choice to be open or not... who cares if he/she doesn't like my weight or look down upon me because I weigh too much (oh i have those... "friends"). lol....
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    308lbs as of 8am. That's my weight IRL and online. I don't care who knows. I care greatly about that number, but I certainly don't care what anybody else thinks about it.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've owned my weight since day one! I'll tell anyone who wants to know. Owning it was the first step for me. I weighed 290 the day I started. Sixteen weeks later (yesterday) I weighed 239. Still have a long way to go. But I'll be the first person to give myself a pat on the back for a job well done so far.

As far as your friend goes, if he hasnt logged in for 6 months, I'd use the delete button. Just my opinion tho.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just telling him how you feel when he says things regarding your goal weight?

You might not have to go through the hassle of unfriending him, refriending him, deleting him, hiding him or whatever you plan on doing. He might not realize that it bothers you, or maybe he does and you need to set some boundaries with him regarding your friendship and your weight loss/goal weight.
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    219lb at the moment. down 5 lb on MFP but down from 247 so far.

I don't mind telling people because it is no longer something to be ashamed of. I am dealing with it, my way, with help and support. I am making myself better but hiding the number from people makes it a bit like a nasty little secret. It's not. It's only a number and with some work and perseverance it will reduce. It's important to me but the only thing that should be important to others is my happiness.
    One of my fave quotes "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

ps six months is a very reasonable cut off point to take someone off your friend list if they are doing you no favours : )
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Very open, and those who don't much like it can blow....

I've only been around a short amount of time, but I gotta say, You're one that I see consistent with your views and right out there with your opinions! Thanks!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Some people judge you no matter what you do. I say do whatever feels best for you, including possibly keeping him as a MFP friend, and managing the judgment if and when it comes up. Learning to diplomatically set up boundaries is a lifetime skill that can help you in other areas. Of course, if he is a hopeless harpy who harasses you no matter what you say, delete him and don't think another thing about it. If he notices and asks about it, tell him the truth about why you did it.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was 385 in September 2008; I was 274 this past Monday (including a 22-month hiatus where I gained over 40!). I like seeing what I've lost on the ticker as it is a measure of the achievement - this time it isn't going back over 300 and as my weight drops, so that limit will drop too. 165 would mean I could call myself "healthy" - but I'll be happy if I can break 200. My immediate goal is 273 (as a Brit I weigh in stones and one more pound will give me a loss of 8 stones or 1 hundredweight).
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    On a side note: GO SOX!!!!!
  • MissStaceFace
    Options
    Delete him!!! Anyone who makes you feel bad for reaching your goals is poisen!! Surround yourself with people who are supportive and proud of you. You should own your weight and feel comfortable about owning your weight loss. You go!
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Unfriend!