Recipes for homeade tomato sauce?

Options
jlc1243
jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
Anyone have any good and easy tomato sauce recipes they can share? Thanks!

Replies

• eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    saute some roughly chopped onion and garlic in a squirt of low cal oil spray. Add some water if they start to stick.
    add some veg - I add whatever needs used up in my fridge/freezer, so green beans, aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zucchini), mushrooms, leeks etc. It always looks like it is far too much veg, but when pureed, I can't even notice it is in there and I figure it must be doing me good!
    Add about 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
    1 or two tins of chopped toms
    some herbs - thyme, rosemary etc or mixed herbs or italian seasoning,
    also, maybe a teaspoon of sugar, any type.
    simmer until the veg are soft, then puree in a food processor/liquidiser

mine comes in at about 50kcals per cup, but as I vary it depending on what's in the fridge, this may not be hat accurate.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Homemade tomato sauce is super easy and tastes much better than anything that comes in a jar. You can make a simple marinara in less than 30 minutes. Put some olive oil in a pot. Add 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic(you add the garlic at the same time as the oil so they don't burn). Cook garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add either crushed tomatoes or tomato puree. Crushed tomatoes are chunkier, puree is smooth. It's personal preference. Experiment with different brands too since they all taste different. Add some salt and pepper to taste. You can add italian seasonings too(or just some dried oregano). Bring to a simmer and cover. Let this simmer on low until it tastes good, lol. If it's too thick add some water then adjust seasonings. I like to cook mine a minimum of 30 minutes but it shouldn't need more than that.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks!
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 cloves finely chopped garlic
    1/4 of a small onion finely chopped
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Saute garlic and onions (nonstick pan) until onions are soft and garlic is slightly brown then add basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Saute 1 minute then add 1 large can diced tomatoes. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 min. Add salt and pepper to taste. I use this sauce on my Chicken Parmesan (baked not fried) with whole wheat spaghetti yum :)