exercise for big people

Options

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Yoga: Just my size by Megan Garcia. She has tips and tricks to get real stretching done even with a body that doesn't have so much room to move. She taught me how to adjust my belly and thighs so I can lean further and be safer in my workouts. the DVD is awesome too.

There's another one I want to try that's all standing- for those of us who can't get up and down from the floor easily. Chair and Standing Routines: Ageless Yoga, Vol. 1 by john schlorholtz. It has seated yoga sections and standing yoga sections. A lot of beginner yoga still has tons of up dog/down dog/ hop around movements that I simply cannot do yet because of injury- I think it'd be a great place to start.

I second the Wii games or Kinect (what I use). the Wii games will have more variety but the Kinect you don't need to hold a remote-

In my opinion (not a personal trainer or doctor) when you're at a certain point even just incorporating movement is a good start. Working out is relative- I can't go ten minutes on a stairmaster right now- my heartrate hits 200 and I'm out. BUT I can play some video games that 'normal' people wouldn't find stressful but they are good workouts for me. Hope that makes sense! Eventually I'll be able to do the more normal workouts- but for now even moving is a big deal. I weigh about 270 so that's 270 pounds I'm moving with me that thinner people wouldn't have to deal with. Eventually I'll show the stairmaster who's boss :)
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    if you have a Wii the Gold's Gym Cardio workout is really good
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I second the votes for Leslie Sansone workouts.. She is great.. And when I get tired of listening to her I put some music on my laptop that makes me want to workout harder... She has a ton to choose from.. And she does some great workouts. Also I have Wii & do alot of Tennis & bowling. I want to advance to Zumba & other fun stuff - but I am just a month in & have to build up my strength.. Just so your moving that counts alot more than you think. And don't worry about what other people think you look like.. Everybody has to start somewhere.. I know I have a long journey ahead of me with 100 plus to lose - but every long journey starts with one step.. And your moving in the right direction. Good luck.....

zumba is SO fun! Would you be going to classes or doing it on your wii?
    The beauty of Zumba is that you can do some moves differently if you're not at that level- for instance, i've been doing it for about a month, and theres still moves that i can't handle. but i still have so much fun and burn SO many calories!
    ya'll feel free to add me :)
  • dnthaveasn
    Options
    Zumba is good to do. I agree with everyone who said the walking at home dvd's. Those worked for me when I first started out.

You got this!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Dance! Sorry, I'm on a dance kick, that's my answer to everything today. But seriously, dancing is a great workout and it is fun. I dance with my doors locked so no one walks in on me (awkward!) and I work up a sweat pretty quickly. Even if you just dance for 5/10 minutes here and there that is something. Going up and down stairs is great as well, sometimes I go up and down the stairs in my building (and hope no other tenants come in!) because it winds me just going up once! Let's see, what else...walking, like you said, making sure to swing those arms, if there is a park near by with some hills that is a good way to get some variety and some good scenery. I hate walking the same way everyday, it gets boring, so we walk around Valley Forge or smaller local parks.

good luck!

I second this! I like to dance. I've put my iPod on and dance in my living room. (I like loud music and I feel my neighbors would get annoyed with the level).

I've been on a kick where I will space it up. I'll dance for 10 minutes or so and relax for a bit and then do it again and again. You can burn some good calories doing this.

Though for my main exercise I do kickboxing and once a week the elliptical. Though for larger people, I would vote for walking. At my heaviest I started on the treadmill. I eventually got bored and tried the elliptical. I was only able to do it for like 5-10 minutes at first. I slowly worked my way up and for the last 5 months I've been doing an hour.

What's great about dancing, it that it can be loads of fun! All you need is a little music and then move your body! No class needed, no such thing as doing it wrong. Just have fun with it!

Yoga, tough when large but not impossible, will definitely slim you down! I swear by it. It has taken inches off my arms and legs, and has really helped me maintain a balanced state of mind.

Exercise does not have to be a chore. Have fun!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I second the swimming suggestion.... swimming burns so many calories and is so easy on your joints when you are heavy.

Maybe a local YMCA or community indoor pool ??
  • loseramy68
    Options
    Shaun T from the Insanity Videos has a very inexpensive dance video set called Rockin Body. The choreography is super simple and he has one of the girls showing the low impact moves. The shortest routine is only 15 minutes. Perfect place to start. Not an intense workout - just a fun calorie burner.
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    I have one of those 'bikes' that is just the pedals. Mine digitally tracks time, distance, and calories burned. I LOVE it! Even on evenings when I don't feel like working out, I can sit on the sofa and pedal for an hour while I watch a favorite program and burn around two hundred calories.

I also do a lot of dancing, nothing extravagant, just move my body with the music (I am not a good dancer, so that's about the best I can manage). Some days I do a little circuit workout as well, made up mostly of simple exercises like we used to do in gym class. Of course I also do some walking and the WII is my friend.

I need several options like this to keep from getting bored and just blowing it off.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I also have 100 lbs to lose. I started by walking during my lunch hour for 30 minutes. I also bought biggest loser cardio max and did level 1 for my first month. I still can not do some of there moves like jumping jacks, however I modify and and just move side to side or skip. As long as you keep moving you do not have to keep up with them. If you can not do a move that they are doing, just dance during that move or walk in place. That is what I did and now I am able to keep up with the video.

Other things to increase exercise. When parking, do not look for the closest spot, try to park further away every time to add to the walk, and use the stairs instead of the elevator when you can.

Good luck to you!

2521768.png
  • anika222
    Options
    Most gyms have recumbent bikes so you don't have to sit on an uncomfortable little seat and they might make you feel less self-conscious. Good luck!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Check with your town's recreation department. I am a fitness instructor and we have a Biggest Loser program with the town that people really enjoy. Most people in the group are just starting out and have a good deal of weight to lose. You are on the right track to feeling and looking your best....keep it up!!!! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Leslie Sansone's videos here!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Walk and do lots of it.

I'm going to also suggest weights. Go get a couple of sets of dumb bells. You can do a lot of work for biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and chest. Add in some squats, lunges and ab work and you are good to go.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I second the swimming suggestion.... swimming burns so many calories and is so easy on your joints when you are heavy.

Maybe a local YMCA or community indoor pool ??

I third swimming! I've got bad knees and I have no problems in the pool. And you burn more calories! Yesterday, after swimming laps for months, I made it an hour of breaststroke, 1047 calories! Not many things can you burn that much in an hour. Water aerobics is great too. My MIL doesn't swim but she walks in the pool, good for her joints and she's doing 2x the work in the 30 minute walk. She's embarrassed to be in a swimsuit so she goes late when the pool is dead. I don't care because I'm in a new swimsuit because I shrank :-)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone or debra Mazda shapely girl DVDS are both good. I do them both, but Debra Mazda gets it better, because even the girls in the video are big girls. It motivates me.

I will have to check out Debra Mazda. Thanks!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    i feel like im to big for a bike.. wouldnt i look bad?

You would look like a rad lady who won't let her weight hold her back from doing healthy fun things like cycling!

In fact, because the bike helps support your weight and is so low-impact, it can be a very accessible way to get a good cardio workout for bodies of all sizes.

I agree with Melissa...

If you weigh over 250 pounds you would need a very good bike to support your size. They have these bikes on line and at specialty stores. Unfornately, these bikes are very expensive but if you can afford them they would be great. I opt for stationary bike myself which can be done indoors and is also low impact. If this is an option for you make sure you purchase a larger seat for better comfort.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Biggest Loser walk DVD. There are 4 workouts on it, which helps it be interesting and not boring.

Another suggestion is the Billy Blanks Jr. Dance With Me DVDs. Not only are the dance routines fun and interesting, but he is serious eye candy and seems like a total sweetheart, so I find myself inspired to do those workouts.

Another idea is if you have On Demand (ours is at "0" on the remote), there are LOTS of fitness videos on there. There is a 10 minute standing ab workout that I think is terrific and works for any fitness level/size. Check out the menu and I'll bet you find lots you'd enjoy to bring some variety to your workouts, in the comfort of your home.

:O

*runs off to see what fitness videos are on OnDemand*

Thanks!! I had no idea :)
  • Anniegir
    Anniegir Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a big girl, and I use an arc trainer! Zero impact, and your workout is as intense as you make it. I am usually on for 25 minutes and burn 400 calories! Granted I am busting my tush while on it, my knees feel great!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Just move more, everyday do something you can do "push ups" off the wall, you can get an exercise ball and use it to help you modify other exercises. But really the key is putting down the food. The exercise will be much easier once the wt starts coming off.
    You can bet I never thought I would become a runner when I was 390lbs...well when I was 230lbs it became possible!...when I was 250lbs I kayaked for the first time. and I was hiking regularly when I was 300lbs. Swimming is also great! Easy on your joints and a water aerobics class is a good work out!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, water aerobics and swimming is an outstanding workout for people who have joint problems due to weight or just struggle to move much.

Whatever you do, just make every day more active than normal. Do something. Walk, jumping jacks, jog in place while watching the TV, something. Just get moving. I promise it will get easier the more you work at it!

Good luck to you hon!