$$$ Protein Powder - Paying for taste?

I'm sorry, I know there are a million threads recommending different protein powders, but I'm still curious:

If I'm buying it to supplement my vegeterian diet and encourage muscle recovery, can I get away with a cheaper brand? Is the big price difference between name brands and generic brands only a matter of tasting better?

Also, am I underestimating the yucky-ness of cheap protein powders?

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    I buy one from wal-mart called Body Fortress. I get the chocolate one and it tastes very similar to chocolate milk, even when mixed with water. In milk it is awesome. I did try a cheaper option from Costco and it had a very funky aftertaste and less of a chocolate flavor. Costco's option woulda saved me about 10 bux a month or so, not worth it to me for the taste. I am sure there are loads of other options but those are the only 2 I've tried.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Taste is the major factor. If you can choke it down, protein is protein for the most part.

The amount of protein per serving and the added extra carbs and fat and how those fit into your diet is the other main consideration.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    protein is protein for the most part.

Awesome. That's pretty much what I was looking for. You can't really Google, "Is protein protein?"

(rick - Thanks for the tip. I will look for that.)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Pretty much. I buy Prograde Lean Chocolate online. The taste is good, and I like that it is organic and not sweetened with splenda.
  • Agree, you have to try different brands to determine what you like. You mentioned supplementing your vegeterian diet, so you probably would be looking for a Soy protein powder vs Whey protein. Many of the brands & types on the market our Whey based proteins.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    I got Nutribiotic - it's a rice protein (DO NOT get soy protein!) I hated it at first, but after a couple weeks, love this stuff!!

I searched on Amazon for the lowest price. Also if you're lifting weights, get NitroFusion (it's a multi-source vegan protein powder) that I use post workout.
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    Ive tried alot of proteins, including a few mentioned in this thread. Some have a very.....artificial sweetner aftertaste. The best tasting ive found is Optimium Nutrition sold online and at GNC double chocolate 100% whey. Taste is fantastic! No aftertaste, and tastes like malted chocoalate balls :)
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Thanks for the wonderful advice, all.

Although I keep hearing wonderful things about Optimum Nutrition, I'll probably start with the smallest tub of the cheapest stuff I can find because I'm a cheapskate. I'm glad to know that they're nutirtionally comparable.