how big is too big?

Options

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I think most bikes have a weight limit. I dunno what the average is, though. I really doubt your'e too big. :)
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My highest was 247, now I'm 182 and I still feel too self conscious to ride a bike or go running (moreso the running than the biking). I know it's ridiculous but why tell everyone here "don't feel bad about yourself, just do it and don't worry what people will say", I wouldn't listen to my own advice. It's hard to get past insecurities.

All I can say is, do what makes you comfortable and push yourself to do something a little bit out of your comfort zone every day until you get to be where you want to be.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I was riding at 380, it was nice and I could care less if anyone was judging me for being a big guy on a bike.
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just got under 200 pounds about a week ago. When I started MFP I was 212. I LOVE riding my bike!! I try and ride it everyday if the weather allows. It makes me feel like a kid again! Give it a try... I think you will love it! :smile:
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I am an avid cyclist and can tell you there are no limits when it comes to size or skills on a bike. My very first invitational ride, I was passed going uphill by a man twice my age and twice my weight. And he was riding a BMX bike as a result of a lost bet.

You can do it!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi if your confident enough to do it then i say go for it, i done alot of cycling last summer - was panting nearly the whole time but felt good after - good luck xx
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    YOUR NEVER TO BIG....I USE TO BE 268.8 and let me tell you I RODE MY BIKE WITH PRIDE...TO KNOW I COULD DO IT and RIDE FOR AWHILE.. I COULD CARELESS WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT:)
  • becky2967
    Options
    i think as long as your comfy riding a bike you cant be 'to big' ive always loved riding a bike, at my heaviest too (255lb) you can do it! im actually thinking of taking it out the cubord again and having a nice ride when little lambs at nursery, go ave fun doesnt feel like ecercise then ;D
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Agree with many others here; there's no size that's "too big" in and of itself. I was very uncomfortable riding a bike at my heaviest, but do ok now (though it's still slightly uncomfortable). But I think that has more to do with my shape and how I carry my weight. It was just too jarring on my tummy when I was big, really hurt after a bit. So I walked instead. So, give it a try and see if it's for you. :flowerforyou:
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is to big for a bike. If your comfortable on it ride it. Your getting exercise so who cares what others think this about you and being healthy.

I agree!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was riding my bike at 210 lbs.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I go mountain biking every weekend. I don't think you're too big to ride a bike. Since people come in many different sizes, you have to make you sure you get a bike frame that supports your weight and height.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I started at 450 lbs and rode a bike. It takes a little getting used to and a little larger seat, but it works!
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    At 220 I could still ride my bike, although I wanted a bigger seat to cut down on the soreness. But hey, bike seats have always made my butt sore, even when I was normal weight.

I would think a mountain bike might be sturdier for more weight, but I dunno. I do recommend getting a big wide squishy seat for it though.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I used to feel self conscious on the stationary bike at the gym because I always felt like my knees would knock into my big wobbly belly and that I was jiggling all over the place.

My trainer would make me get on... only for 2mins at a time.... flat out (part of some HIIT training) and I'd die of embarrassment. It wasn't that I couldn't. It was that it didn't feel good.

Now though (6mths into my PT sessions) I don't mind at all, in fact I'm thinking about buying a bike to ride to and from the gym!
  • ItsTiffanyFTW
    ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Anyone can get on a bike... and I think the bigger you are, the better choice it is for you because there's no impact. Whether its a regular bike or spin cycle, be prepared for your butt to hurt the first day or two. Let it work itself out and get back on it... it gets better. Spin is actually my favorite cardio workout.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Okay OP, stop reading now and RIDE YOUR BIKE!! GO!! Seriously, Go now. Do not let things hold you back, if it is not where you wish to be. Still reading? GO!!
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    They have bikes that can hold up to 550lbs, they're probably pretty expensive, I haven't tried pricing them out but they are available. As long as you wear a helmet, get comfortable seat and take your time easing back into it, I don't see why wouldn't be able to ride a bike. But do what makes you comfortable. Also, if your interested go to www.truthinchange.com this guy was on Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edtion and was given a bike that holds up 550lbs, he's raffling it off and the proceeds go to charity, if you need a bike check it out. This guys is amazing!
  • aprilreed67
    Options
    You are definitely not too big to ride a bike!! I was very self conscious about riding last summer (192 lbs), but once I got out there and started, I really enjoyed it. Having someone to ride with makes it alot easier, too.
  • melrose09
    Options
    As long as you can physically do the exercise safely....no such thing as too big! Now, go get on the bike and work on getting smaller! :)