Does protein Powder and creatine make you fat?

Options

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    No
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not sure if srs

but a consistent calorie surplus makes you fat, not any 1 food, macro or anything else
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    creatine doesn't have any calories
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is definitely legitimate. I asked my three brothers about this.. because I starting taking a protein powder after workouts and my body felt massive (most upper body). It feels like fat has grown around my muscles since I've used it. They assured me it was probably water. But still, it's a little scary and I feel "puffed" out so to speak.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options

Not sure if srs

fry.jpg
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is definitely legitimate. I asked my three brothers about this.. because I starting taking a protein powder after workouts and my body felt massive (most upper body). It feels like fat has grown around my muscles since I've used it. They assured me it was probably water. But still, it's a little scary and I feel "puffed" out so to speak.
    No...it's not legitimate. Anything with calories will only make you fat if you eat too much of it, as compared to your TDEE. The fact that it's a protein macro means nothing, with regard to getting fat.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Only if you ingest more calories of the stuff than your body burns in a day.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Muscles retain water while repairing themselves. It has nothing to do with protein powder.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

It's water weight, and/or swelling. My arms get hugely swollen after a hard workout.

But you also don't need to take protein powder both before and after lifting. Just make sure you get 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass through the day.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Wait, you're saying it's legitimate because you feel like it is despite the fact your brothers told you otherwise?
    jackie-chan-meme_reasonably_small.png

No food "makes" you fat. Eating too much of any food makes you fat.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Not sure.....how much did you take?
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Creatine tends to make the muscles hold extra water as a temporary effect after taking it. That's one reason it gives people the bulked up look faster. Lots of guys will do creatine before a beach trip so they have some nice bulky muscles to show on the beach. But the water retention in the muscles tapers off after awhile.