1K Calories

Options
I did a 45 min. program on my eliptical. Resistance ranging from 3 to 9. It tells me I burnt 1000 calories. Do you really think that is possible???

Replies

• amccarville
    amccarville Posts: 185
    Options
    I did a 45 min. program on my eliptical. Resistance ranging from 3 to 9. It tells me I burnt 1000 calories. Do you really think that is possible???
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound practical. Does it measure your heart rate? And do you do it on an incline? (Some ellipticals have inclines)
  • amccarville
    amccarville Posts: 185
    Options
    ti just has resistance and it went all the way to the highest point. it got so hard i was really having to push to keep it going. yes i ckd my heart rate every 15 min and it ranged from 130 -158
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I hate to say it, but if you divided that number by 2 you would probably be closer to the actual number. However, intensity does have quite a bit to do with it, but judging from your heart rate 500 calories is probably a better estimate. I worked out today for a similar amount of time and a higher average heart rate and burned around 500 calories according to my hrm.

Sorry...but that is still a very good and successful workout!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Yeah that sounds a bit high to me too.

I am a lot bigger than you and it takes me about 8 minutes to burn 100 cals on the elliptical. So for me I could probably burn 700 cals in 45 minutes.

But you probably had it on a higher intensity than me.

So I dunno ....

I think that even though elipticals and treadmills often read your heart rate I think many models still do not use that information when calculating calories.

sorry I can't be of more help.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Just to give you a point of comparison - I weigh about 138-140 (5'4" tall) and I burn about 900 calories from 2 hours of exercising (this is swimming for one hour and running off road for one hour). I wear a polar HRM and is programed with my stats, so it picks up my HR (which averages 150-160, with max of 189).

So 1,000 cals burned does sound kind of high for 45 minutes. What is your secret?? LOL.

Are you wearing a HRM with chest strap? The ones on the machine (where you hold on the sensors) are not as accurate as a chest strap.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options

did you plug in all your stats (weight, age, etc). if you don't plug that in it won't be a true read of the hard work you did. good job with the elliptical though! I get so bored on there :tongue: