Protein Powder/ Supplements

Options
Hello Friends! I need some advice on protein powder. I work out each morning and would like to make a protein shake afterwards, but I have no idea where to begin! Any advice on which brands you like? Which brands to avoid?

Replies

• maximus9898
    Options
    I use to use BSN® - SYNTHA-6™ protein powder for frist thing in the morning and after workout, now I use bsn true mss weight gainer , taste great vanilla ice cream?
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends! I need some advice on protein powder. I work out each morning and would like to make a protein shake afterwards, but I have no idea where to begin! Any advice on which brands you like? Which brands to avoid?

I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein - Chocolate. It tastes OK. I usually mix it with water (tastes OK) or milk (a little better taste) - or better yet - chocolate milk (the best taste). HOWEVER, I am usually too tired after a workout to care and just mix it with water.
  • grneyecowgirl
    Options
    I think most are gross but I love advocare muscele fuel and then 2 I would say syntha 6.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    And remember, even though many people think that soy protein is the way to go, its not. Soy is harder for the body to break down, so it cant get to where it needs to go fast enough. Whey is much better, it gets there almost as soon as it hits your stomach.

I made this mistake and didnt know I was doing it wrong till my trainer said something when I asked.
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein extreme milk chocolate! The best@
  • LittleGrem
    LittleGrem Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    good old pure natural whey protein, if I want to bulk it out a bit I'll add a banana and if I want to add vitamins/minerals and make it a meal for on the go I'll add some good ol' slimfast powder.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    I like jillian michaels whey protein powder. My favorite is the chocolate but the vanilla cream shake is good too. I mix it with almond milk for more calcium and less carbs :)
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Unless you are limiting your proteins throughout the day then you probably do not really need a protein powder. They tend to be high in calories and if you are trying to cut calories then you don't need that. I usually only use protien powders on my hard workout days...ie. long run days or intense weight training days of over 45 min. Sometimes I will use them as a meal replacement if I'm in a big rush. You probably could get by with a smoothie made with greek yogurt and your favorite fruit. Protien powders have what I would call an aquired taste so if you decide to use them see if you can get small sample sizes of different brands to see which ones you like. I use vanilla flavor and mix it with frozen strawberries. My favorite brand is From GNC and it is a recovery formula and I only use 1 scoop instead of 2. Good Luck
  • j3467h
    Options
    Stick with a whey protein powder post-workout. I prefer vanilla because I often blend with blueberries and other fruits. Optimum Nutrition is a very good brand and usually one of the best tasting. BSN's Syntha 6 is also a quality product, and although the container says pre and post workout, this should really be used as a meal replacement due to its high fiber content. Lastly Advocare is overpriced IMHO.