Eating Minus Cals

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you are subtracting the fiber from the calories...the only time I know of that you're supposed to do that is when you're counting carbs. You subtract the total grams of fiber from the grams of carbs to get net carbs. Is that what you're thinking of? As a side note, I would add some protein to your breakfasts. Just having juice would get me hungry real fast, plus protein helps in weight loss. (my unasked for two cents :wink: )
    Protein doesn't help in weight loss directly, to be clear. It just helps you to feel more full for longer, to help you avoid eating too much. Just wanted to clear that point, in case people are thinking about drinking gallons of whey protein to get skinny fast.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the fruit? The fiber is one of the most important parts. Otherwise you're just drinking sugar water with a little bit of vitamins in it.

In summary, I will leave you with this:

lol-wut.jpg
  • b417adriana
    b417adriana Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • PhunkyBrewster
    Options
    the-wire-hands-up.gif

#dead
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    wrt deducting the fibre, my mum used to use a very old weight watchers formula and if she were calculating the points in say a bowl of all bran, she would calculate it like this, say 140 cals = 2 points + .2 sat fat = 2.05 but then, she'd take the grams of fibre in it and divide by four and subtract it!!!

OBVIOUSLY this is over thinking things because carrots and all bran don't make you fat, but YES, i have heard of this system of subtracting the fibre/4
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    the-wire-hands-up.gif

Yes! :D
  • grimmaster1983
    Options
    ive just read this 4 times and then i gave up...???
  • kdelost630
    Options
    I've had this problem before, figuring out how to count juicing. The calories remain the same, you just aren't eating the fiber. The calories from a raw apple is the same as the calories in the juice from that apple. It's just a more concentrated way to consume it---and no, you're not getting rid of the vitamins and minerals.. Those stay in the juice.
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    the-wire-hands-up.gif

^this.......245g of fibre? :noway:
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    :noway:

There's no way there are 245g of fiber in that juice.

Just eat the actual fruit and save yourself the time and energy juicing it or.... thinking. Fiber is good for you. Helps you poop :bigsmile:
  • eileencorry
    Options
    I think some of that juice must of fermented into wine. :laugh:

It seems you got it a little wrong... if i could math away the calories of my food, i'd give it a try too :drinker:
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Helps you poop :bigsmile:

LMAO. Yeah it does. That made my day.
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ive just read this 4 times and then i gave up...???

Ditto
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Good one... I am laughing my freakin booty off!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    OK, I started having juice for breakfast and yesterday I just picked total cals because I didn't know how to work them out....

So today I did the working out and, if I'm correct, for breakfast my total cals was -611cals.

Here is the breakdown....

Carrots > 279g > 115cal
    Apple > 478g > 254 cal
    Total cal = 369 cal

Weight of fibre = 245g
    cals of fibre = 245 * 4 = 980 cals there is 4 cals in 1g of fibre.....

To get total cals of juice you need to take the fibre cals from the ingredients cals...
    369 - 980 = -611

Here is the site where I found out how to work out the cals in juicing..
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5155227_count-calories-juicing.html

Is it possible to eat minus calories????

I think the problem is that you weighed the pulp left after juicing and assumed this was your fiber weight....alas, the fiber weight is how much fiber is in the whole fruit, not all of the leftover parts after juicing. So your carrot has about 4 g of fiber and your apple has about 4.5g. So you should multiply your 8.5 g of fiber by 4. 369 cals -34 fiber cals = 335 net cals.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Helps you poop :bigsmile:

So does doing all this math....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that you weighed the pulp left after juicing and assumed this was your fiber weight....alas, the fiber weight is how much fiber is in the whole fruit, not all of the leftover parts after juicing. So your carrot has about 4 g of fiber and your apple has about 4.5g. So you should multiply your 8.5 g of fiber by 4. 369 cals -34 fiber cals = 335 net cals.

FTW
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think I just lost IQ points... I feel dumber
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Guys, I can totally understand your responses....They made me laugh....

I know you can't eat minus cals.....

I'm wondering if any of you checked out the link I put there....

Also, this juice did fill me which surprised me......

I will put 335 for today as kyrstensmom suggested........:flowerforyou:
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem before, figuring out how to count juicing. The calories remain the same, you just aren't eating the fiber. The calories from a raw apple is the same as the calories in the juice from that apple. It's just a more concentrated way to consume it---and no, you're not getting rid of the vitamins and minerals.. Those stay in the juice.

Thanks heaps for this....:flowerforyou: