Jillian Michaels kettle bell DVD and kettle bells in general

Options
Shred it with Weights. Anyone tried it? How do you like it? What size kettle bell would you recommend for starting out? I've Been exercising pretty hardcore for a month and a half so I'm not a true beginner. I'm trying to build lean muscle and don't have access to a gym and I haven't found a bench and weights on craigslist yet. Do you think working with a kettle bell would be a good alternative?

Replies

• MariaL93
    MariaL93 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD. I love it! I use a 10 pounds kettlebell. I bought the Danceskin Kettle with DVD and did all three workouts. I then bought the Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights and its tough. I workout 2-3 times a week with my kettlebell and see a huge difference. :happy:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the SKOGG kettlebell work out dvd pack yesterday. I read several articles in researching which kg kettlebell I should order and went with the suggestion that you need to take the weights you lift and subtract 10% from that since you will be using motion in wider degrees to use the kettlebell. So I got an 8 lbs bell. I would normally use 10 lbs barbells.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for your responses! My hubs is at the store right now and I told him to grab the DVD and a 10lb kettle bell. If it's too heavy I'll pick up an 8 and work my way up to the 10. I can't wait to try it :D
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    Also how do you log it in MFP?
  • kelgwin36
    kelgwin36 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD and for the most part I use a 10lb kettlebell. You can use hand weights too, so if you find that the 10lb is too light or heavy for some exercises you can swap out for the hand weight.

For this and most other Jillian workouts I log them as circuit training.

Have fun!!
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started out with a 5 lbs danceskin kettlebell dvd . Now I am doing the KettleWorx 6 weeks body transformation dvd's workout with 7 lbs kettlebell. I do it 3 times a week...it also comes with a diet plan , not doing the diet plan to me it seem like it might be to hard to do.. However I do love the workouts. Been using it for 3 weeks now and have lost a total of 3.5 inches.
  • skinimama
    skinimama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also how do you log it in MFP?

I read somewhere on another thread to log it in as Circuit training, general. I just started doing kettlebells last week. I got a 5 lb. one to start with since I have never done kettlebell before. I'm sure I'll be getting a heavier one very soon but at least I'll have the exercises down before I go too heavy.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you but using those light kettlebells will not help you build lean muscle. It's just cardio. To build lean muscle tissue you need to lift HEAVY weights.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you but using those light kettlebells will not help you build lean muscle. It's just cardio. To build lean muscle tissue you need to lift HEAVY weights.

This is correct. However, when starting with kettlebells, it is VERY important to start light and get your form correct. Kettlebells are a great way to throw your back out if your form isn't right. Once you're comfortable with your form, then increase the weight. I currently swing a 25-lb bell.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

This is correct. However, when starting with kettlebells, it is VERY important to start light and get your form correct. Kettlebells are a great way to throw your back out if your form isn't right. Once you're comfortable with your form, then increase the weight. I currently swing a 25-lb bell.

This is my concern since I've got a sensitive lower back...my thought was to work up as well. Thanks!
  • kylesmommy89
    Options

I understand that that's the most effective way and like I said I'm currently looking for some heavy weights for home, but you can strength train with lighter weights/body weight. It's not JUST cardio. I have built a lot of muscle since I started working out just using 3-8lb dumbbells and body weight. My body is hard and toned and before was just soft flab and bone.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels can't kettlebell to save her life. If you search on youtube you'll find her getting flamed.

I agree with starting with a lighter kettlebell to get your form. For an elderly lady/young adult/anorexic or someone that's never ever exercised, a 8kg would be appropriate. If not, 12kg for women, 16kg for men are the usual starting points.

The reason kettlebells are so heavy, is that it means you have to use your whole body to swing the weight. That's the point, getting your body to work as one.
    If you're using a kettlebell to do dumbbell moves, and so need to use a lighter weight... you're kinda missing the whole point, but feel free to carry on. Just don't confuse other people.
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    Jillian Michaels can't kettlebell to save her life. If you search on youtube you'll find her getting flamed.

I agree with starting with a lighter kettlebell to get your form. For an elderly lady/young adult/anorexic or someone that's never ever exercised, a 8kg would be appropriate. If not, 12kg for women, 16kg for men are the usual starting points.

The reason kettlebells are so heavy, is that it means you have to use your whole body to swing the weight. That's the point, getting your body to work as one.
    If you're using a kettlebell to do dumbbell moves, and so need to use a lighter weight... you're kinda missing the whole point, but feel free to carry on. Just don't confuse other people.

How am I missing the point or confusing anyone? The only thing confusing me so far is you... You tell me to use a lighter kettlebell and then say use a 17 lb kettlebell when I'm going to use a 10lb kettlebell. Yeah I'll get a heavier kettlebell when I'm sure I can handle it. And if JM isn't good with kettlebells can you refer me to someone else who is?? And you really need to get your panties out of a wad. Obviously I'm new to kettlebells judging by my questions right? Really don't see how I would be responsible for confusing other people when I'm new to this and asking how to get started...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about you, or anyone else new to kettlebells. I'm talking about an entire industry/movement such as kettlenetics and kettlewox. These are focused on making money on the fact that people are intimitated by hard work, at the sacrifice of results.

Practically anything that is from a RKC source is good. They even wrote Kettlebells For Dummies.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i did not like this jillian workout and im a huge jillian fan. seemed kinda pointless after i did it. i definately like some of her other videos better.
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    I'm not talking about you, or anyone else new to kettlebells. I'm talking about an entire industry/movement such as kettlenetics and kettlewox. These are focused on making money on the fact that people are intimitated by hard work, at the sacrifice of results.

Practically anything that is from a RKC source is good. They even wrote Kettlebells For Dummies.

Sorry! For some reason it came across to me as you were being an *kitten*! My bad!
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    i did not like this jillian workout and im a huge jillian fan. seemed kinda pointless after i did it. i definately like some of her other videos better.

I felt the EXACT SAME WAY. Uggh what a waste.
  • Cayderine
    Cayderine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If Jillian Michaels isn't a kettle bell guru, are there any other kettle bell programmes out there that might be better ?
  • shouldice9
    shouldice9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For each their own, but I love the Jillian Michaels kettle bell DVD. I could hardly to the DVD with no weights when I started now I use a 7 lb and a 10 lb weight.....so her DVD works for me!! I have lost inches and gained muscle and toned my body. You have to start somewhere right!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For each their own, but I love the Jillian Michaels kettle bell DVD. I could hardly to the DVD with no weights when I started now I use a 7 lb and a 10 lb weight.....so her DVD works for me!! I have lost inches and gained muscle and toned my body. You have to start somewhere right!

^Yep... People keep forgetting, that this isn't a real kettlebell workout DVD, not even by title. Jillian is just using a kettlebell. It works with a water bottle as well as with dumbbells. While her form might be cause for debate, her exercise lineup isn't, IMO.
    To the kettlebell gurus out there: Be a good sport, and do this circuit training (because that's what is is..) with your 30 lbs kettlebell, and tell me how it worked for you.....
    I started with a sore foot and 7 lbs dumbbell, and graduated to a 15 lbs kettlebell. And for that purpose, that's probably as far as I will ever take it for this particular workout.

Train safe all!:flowerforyou: