Cutting back before a half marathon

Options
Just wondering how many miles a week people run and what they cut back to the week before a marathon and the week following a marathon. I'm currently doing between 30-40 miles a week and wondering what I should do the week before my race. Any suggestions or successes?

Replies

• campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    www.marathonrookie.com
  • jlaidley21
    Options
    My half marathon was on a Sunday so the Monday b4 I did 10, Wednesday I ran 8 and then Friday I ran 5 and I was completely fine. After I took took about 2 days off then I think I ran about 3 miles. I didn't train nearly as much as you, I think the most I ran in 1 week was about 20 miles. Good for you! Good Luck!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    bump. I would like to see the answers since my first Half is April 1st!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    great question. I am running between 40-45 miles each week right now my half is in June.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been following a Runner's World training guide, and it says to run 10 miles the Sunday before and then 2-4 miles Tues, Thurs, and Sat before the Sunday race. That's what I'll plan on doing for mine in March.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Check Runnersworld.com and Hal Higdon's free training guides for tapering guidelines.

The main thing is to rest or do very light exercise the 2-3 days before, the whole week if you can mange (I never totally could, just had too much energy). Don't over do it - you'll regret it race day (trust me, I speak from personal experience!).
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I totally have the problem with not being able to let up but I think that 10 on the sunday before then 3-4 a few days the week of should be good for me.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I did a half in Jan and cut back to 42 from 75 and set a PR. I ran my normal miles on the Sun & Mon before and then 5 miles easy on Tue through Thu. Rested on Fri and felt like I had rockets on my legs Sat morning.