It doesn't feel like a lifestyle to me?

Options
Hi all

I know we talk her about the dreaded 'DIET' word and how what we are doing is more a lifestyle change
I lost 30 pounds from Jan-May 08 and have maintaned it (+/- 3 pounds)
To me the word lifestyle feels effortless.....I still struggle daily with wanting to over-eat, eat the wrong foods, eating too many cals early in the day, staying within my cals but eating way too much sugar etc etc
If this was my new lifestyle should it feel more effortless/natural....or do u think for some of us, it will always be a 'struggle'

Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I know we talk her about the dreaded 'DIET' word and how what we are doing is more a lifestyle change
    I lost 30 pounds from Jan-May 08 and have maintaned it (+/- 3 pounds)
    To me the word lifestyle feels effortless.....I still struggle daily with wanting to over-eat, eat the wrong foods, eating too many cals early in the day, staying within my cals but eating way too much sugar etc etc
    If this was my new lifestyle should it feel more effortless/natural....or do u think for some of us, it will always be a 'struggle'

Kim
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    I think that it's a lifestyle change.

right now the key word is change, which is usually hard! it isn't easy to transition to something totally different!

but once we're used to it and it becomes more of a habit, the key word will be lifestyle.

if that makes sense.

we just can't really expect it to be easy right now cuz we are still adjusting. it'll probably take a while to get used to it to where it's not so hard.
  • jeterbeater
    Options
    I think it will always be a struggle for many of us...I know it will be for me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    embrace the struggle and make it your friend....soon it will be more comfortable
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I agree, it will probably always be a struggle. However, it should get easier over time...practice makes permanent. We will all faulter, but the important thing it to get back to clean eating as soon as possible. It is pretty easy to get rid of a bad day or a bad weekend by getting back on track. I think it is important to have short term goals, and then allow yourself a reward (the reward could be a dessert, a meal or even a day). And then set another short term goal...that is much more maintainable than never rewarding yourself and then just finally giving up!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Eventually it will feel like a lifestyle. For example, when I became a vegetarian, I still kind of wanted meat, but every time I think about it, I don't want meat at all and I think about how unhealthy it looks. The same with my "diet"/"lifestyle" now. Ever since I gave up french fries, they just look so gross to me now, and I don't think I would ever want to eat a whole order of them, maybe just a few. Once I got use to my daily usual foods, I can't comprehend why I would eat the way I used to, so unhealthy! I wish you luck on your journey to turn your diet into a lifestyle, keep pushin' on!! :glasses:
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know for me it will be a struggle everyday. I have been at this for a year and I still have some days where I just want to give it up and eat all the stuff I used to. I think that as long as there is a way to keep tracking food I will be alright. It makes me mindful of what and how much I put in my mouth.

My hubby thinks that I am crazy for measuring everything out, but if I don't do this I will go right back to where I was a year ago. I definitely don't want to be there again. I think that is what we have to keep in our minds is that we don't want to be where we were.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I think that I will always struggle with food, but excersize has definitely become part of my lifestyle. It took close to a year for going to the gym to become a habit. The longest that I've gone without working out is 5 days...and I felt horrible by the sixth day!

But food is my love and my enemy and I'll always look at the hamburger and fries longingly before I order a grilled chicken salad :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I once read that obesity is a disease and that as with any other disease, it will require constant supervision and constant monitoring, even when you aren't showing symptoms. For those of us who have always struggled with our weight, I really don't think it will ever be easy to maintain our losses. I think everyday I will have to plan my meals and count my calories and measure my portions. I don't think it ever becomes effortless.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    embrace the struggle and make it your friend....soon it will be more comfortable

Reading this, I imagined two stick figures, one being Kimber and one being Struggle.
    Struggle kept struggling, but Kimber wrestled it to the ground and beat it until it stopped moving.
    Then Struggle became a complacent house pet.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I know for me personally, that my body seems to find 155lbs very comfortable. Thats if I am not really watching what I eat, but not necessarily eating out 5x a week either. If I don't try...thats the weight my body wants to be at....

Getting down to 130lbs-135lbs is probably going to be easier than maintaining it. If it was that easy to get there and stay there then everyone would probably be whatever weight they wanted to be without effort and everyone would look similar.

I am trying to make it a lifestyle change where I don't eat as many processed foods and I try to eat more foods that are better for fueling my body (mainly more fruits and veggies). I am trying to learn that food should be used for fueling my body vs. making me feel better if I am sad. If I learn that, (regardless of my weight number) I will be far better off than I was when I started this change.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make it a lifestyle change where I don't eat as many processed foods and I try to eat more foods that are better for fueling my body (mainly more fruits and veggies). I am trying to learn that food should be used for fueling my body vs. making me feel better if I am sad. If I learn that, (regardless of my weight number) I will be far better off than I was when I started this change.

Very well said! :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Reading this, I imagined two stick figures, one being Kimber and one being Struggle.
    Struggle kept struggling, but Kimber wrestled it to the ground and beat it until it stopped moving.

or wrestled it to the gorund and HUGGED it
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

or wrestled it to the gorund and HUGGED it

Hugged it with a fist to the head!! :laugh: