help muscle cut fat

Options
2»

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    reduce your body fat by having a calorie deficit, meaning burn more calories each day than you eat. Add muscle by doing weight lifting exercises rather than just cardio. Keep your carbs down to 100g a day. Try to make them carbs from veggies, not grains. Whole grains if you have to have grains. No potatoes, no matter how cooked. sweet potatoes are ok, though. And very tasty.
    Fiber and protein with each meal.

since when were potatoes bad?
    potatoes and sweet potatoes are starchy root vegetables. there's no "one is good" and "one is bad"

That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't really think that post is credible in the least.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    reduce your body fat by having a calorie deficit, meaning burn more calories each day than you eat. Add muscle by doing weight lifting exercises rather than just cardio. Keep your carbs down to 100g a day. Try to make them carbs from veggies, not grains. Whole grains if you have to have grains. No potatoes, no matter how cooked. sweet potatoes are ok, though. And very tasty.

potatoes and sweet potatoes are starchy root vegetables. there's no "one is good" and "one is bad"

Get'em Sky! :)

I agree.

There are 4 things I do when accomplishing my goals.

1. Hit fiber intake
    2. Try to get a serving of greens and fruit (I will admit I don't always get a serving of greens)
    3. Drink plenty of water
    4. Hit macros surgically

As long as I accomplish those 4 things I fill whatever foods I want to eat in order to hit my numbers. There are no "off limit" foods, but there are a lot of foods that are 1) Not really worth the macro profile 2) Don't fit into my numbers.

Matt_Wild is also correct. You cannot gain muscle and lose fat (not typically unless you are 1) Extreme beginner or 2) On Anabolic steroids)

I like to tell people that gained muscle and losing fat is like trying to open and close a door at the same time. Your not going to get very far.

I've rambled quite a bit and should be writing a research paper, so I'll stop here. Hopefully that helps somebody lol.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, misread the quote.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    what are some good food choices when it comes to gaining muscle and cutting the fat i know its good to lessen the carbs and up the protein but what are some specifics?

To answer your original question: Protein-at least 1g per pound of lean body mass, fat- 0.35-0.45g per pound of total weight, fill in the rest however you like. Eat at a slight deficit (~0.5lb per week loss). Add heavy resistance training- heaviest weight that you can do 6-8 reps in good form. You will get results with this, let's not argue the whole gaining muscle while losing fat question......:flowerforyou:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You cannot cut fat and gain muscle since cutting fat means you need to be in a calorie deficit whilst gaining muscle means you need to be in a calories surplus (think of your body like a house, to extend it you need bricks (which is food) and without enough food you can only maintain the house).

Best thing IMO is to get lean (as it will always increase confidence based on the way you look) and then rebound into a muscle gain cycle for a few months but keep things lean. I could always knock you these diets together if you like and will follow a diet...

That's really interesting, and quite different to my own personal experience. What studies are you basing that on?

Your "personal experience" is going to confuse people. It's not common unless certain circumstances which were listed right under your original post. Not to mention means of doing so, aren't always the safest. Or the easiest to stick to. Or ....I could go on.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Potatoes are a unique vegetable in that your body's blood chemistry reacts to potatoes (no matter how cooked) almost exactly the same as it reacts to straight glucose. Potatoes cause a rapid rise in blood sugar which leads to your body dumping insulin into the blood stream to counteract the fast rise of blood sugar. Your blood chemistry doesn't react the same to other veggies or whole grains. They take longer to lead to increase in blood sugar and the increase is not as high and spread over a longer period of time. So the insulin reaction is not as harsh either. You can check the info on most websites related to diabetes research.
  • AWelden2012
    AWelden2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.