For all you egg white eaters out there - I NEED HELP!

Options
The time has finally come where I think I have decided that I am going to incorporate eggs into my diet; or shall I say, egg WHITES. Eggs have only been a part of my diet if they are used in a recipe (think brownies!) and NOT for breakfast.

I have decided I'm not really getting enough protein, and I know egg whites would be a really easy way to start doing this. I need help on everything from buying, to cooking (preferably in the AM and quickly!), and how to cover up the taste (or make them taste better!). Can you do things like combine them with salsa? Is there anyway to make them sweet and still somewhat healthy?

I know everything nutritionally and calorically in the grocery except egg whites, and I'm just a dummy on this subject. Any help at all is much appreciated! :)

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've been making a breakfast frittata. Keeping it in the fridge and heating it up in the morning. Otherwise maybe try scrambled eggs??
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just buy egg whites in a carton from Costco. They have it in the dairy section. Most grocery stores will have them in a carton aswell. Makes it easier to cook.

I typically just make an egg white omlette everyday. Or scrambled with salt and pepper.

Heat pan, spray with Pam, and pour.

You can throw in mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, onions, etc. Have it with ketchup or baked beans.
  • rebelo3
    rebelo3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I mix up with egg whites with shredded cheese! sometimes ill eat it on whole wheat toast or just plain. The cheese definitely adds so much to the taste.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i like to hard boil them, remove the yolks, chop them up with spinach, parsley, lemon, pepper, sriracha, and maybe some tomato and throw it over a quinoa or multi grain cracker.
  • ssassorossi
    Options
    I, personally, really like egg whites by themselves.

Usually for breakfast I'll fry three eggs and eat one with the runny yolk spread over the other two egg whites. I then feed the other two yolks to my dog so they don't go to waste.

If I have hard-boiled eggs in the house, I'll make some oatmeal and then just have egg-whites with a little salt on the side for an extra burst of protein. I eat it after working out and it keeps me full for over five overs until lunch rolls around. And if I have something like a waffle or cereal, I'm hungry 2 or 3 hours into my morning.

So they consuming them by themselves first. You can always scramble them or make them into omelets if you want to change up their taste a bit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I mix my egg whites with the yolk to get all the yumminess and nutrients from the yolks.

And if you don't like egg whites, why eat them? there are tons of ways to get protein in that don't involve eggs
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try spicy/hot salsa verde. I cut up vegan hot dogs in my egg whites, green onions, cheese, tomatoes. You can do so much with eggs! To make them sweet I make it with diced up morning star maple flavored sausage. MMMMmmmm can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. You can have a full cup of egg whites for like 60 calories. Makes big omelets. Add your favorite veggies, salsa and meats if you do not like the taste of eggs.

2521768.png
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Cook 1'st

Mushrooms
    Green Bell Peppers

Then Add egg whites

Wrap with Tortilla and chili peppers

MMMM
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    eggwhite with salsa is a favourite.
    tip-put salsa in nonstick pan and reduce before adding egg,otherwise ends up very watery.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    As ACG said, I eat my eggs with the yolk for the nutritional value... all that lovely yolky goodness and heaps of iron! :)

Sometimes I scramble them with tomatoes, or spinach, or cheese... or anything really. Or hard boiled eggs with a little mustard spread on top chopped in half are a good snack when you're on the hoof!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Yeah, garlic, bell pepper, sweet onion, mushrooms sauteed in a pan then scramble two egg whites and one whole egg. I top with cheese, but it isn't a must. I eat this every morning and dont get hungry until about 3 in the afternoon.... and it's delicious.
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    no-salt seasonings (think Mrs. Dash) are an egg whites best friend! I have a light english muffin with a piece of reduced fat cheddar cheese, 2 egg whites with extra spicy seasoning, and 1 tsp of ketchup (sometimes I'll throw on one piece of low-sodium center cut bacon for crunch)... I crave my breakfast sandwich all the time, it's so good. Seriously, the way to make sure you eat egg whites and enjoy them is to use seasonings you like.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah, I recommend getting the carton stuff. have recently tried them out and they work well. not quite the same, but not bad.

you can be done in minutes if you just put either egg beaters or whites into a hot pan. cooks really quickly. wait a minute, flip and wait another minute. generally I drop it onto a piece of cracked wheat toast, folded over, with a slice of cheese and a couple of slices of deli ham. can also make a sandwich with two pieces of bread, or put it in an english muffin or bagel, etc.

you can also spice it up by adding a few hits of hot sauce in before you cook it up. and definitely put some pepper and/or nature's seasoning in there.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually eat mine with a slice of cheese on it (surprisingly makes it taste a lot better) or dip it in hot sauce

You could always throw ham/bacon slices in there as well and just make a mini-omelette
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Blue Cheese Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese

1 TBSP Bacon

4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put bacon and blue cheese in a muffin pan.

Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

108 Calories 2 Carbs 6 Fat 460 Sodium 12 Protien 1 Fiber

Mexi-Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Pico de Gallo

1/8 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese

4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Pico de Gallo and cheese in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

96 Calories 5 Carbs 4 Fat 188 Sodium 11 Protien 1 Fiber

Mediterranean Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Chopped frozen Spinach (thawed)

1 TBSP Crumbled Feta

1 tsp Chopped sun Dried Tomatoes

4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Spinach, feta, and sun dried tomatoes in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

83 Calories 6 Carbs 3 Fat 302 Sodium 12 Protien 2 Fiber
  • mljturtle
    mljturtle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not very organized and I love my sleep so most mornings are a fire drill to get out the door and to the office on time. So I hard boil eggs on Sunday for the week. Then I peel, slice and package them into individual bags for easy access to eat on my drive. Its not glamorous, but I get the protein.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to eat only egg whites. Dietary cholesterol in eggs has been proven to not affect blood cholesterol. The egg yolks have a lot of protein as well and other nutrients the whites don't have.

http://www.physorg.com/news139156140.html
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I put either tuna or salmon in mine and add some mozzarella cheese. You can also do the salsa thing.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    A good way to separate whites from yolks with no tool: Crack egg, hold both parts and keep pouring the yolk from one half to the other without breaking it while holding it over a bowl. I scramble one whole egg with two extra whites. But I like scrambled eggs. I cook them in nonstick butter flavor spray and sprinkle salt on, usually just eat them between an english muffin. If I don't have that I have lowfat cottage cheese with blueberries. Have you tried that? That is also a good breakfast with protein. Add a piece of toast if you want, it's yummy! :) Good luck