Week 2 Plateau

Options
So.. I'm a huge fan of the biggest loser, have seen almost every season.... One trend I noticed is "the dreaded week 2 plateau" ...because their bodies are in "shock" from losing so much weight the first week. My question is, has this happened to any of you on your weight loss journey? I am currently in my second week, and have lost minimal weight compared to the first one (which is reasonable) ..Just hope this trend doesn't continue lol

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine! Plateaus happen, and after your body loses immediately it reacts differently. I wouldn't expect the pattern to continue, and if it does, that's fine too. Big goals take lots of time, and your body needs to adjust.

Best of luck to you!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you! feels good to hear that at this stage! Lol... Congrats on your 30 pound loss.. thats amazing!
  • annieheavrin
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Last week I lost 6.6 and this week (my weight in was yesterday) and I lost nothing! I'm still working out great & eating the way I'm supposed to but the scale isn't budging. I'm noticing a difference in my body but not on the scale! I'm hoping it will pass soon as this is going on the 2nd week of no loss. :cry:
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm also on week 2. Last week I lost 5 lbs...this week I did lose 1 lb. on Monday, but the same number has been staring me in the face the rest of the week. But....I'm also PMSing. Hoping that next week will bring another nice drop.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Here's an article one of my MFP friends posted a link to:
    http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/Library/WeightLoss/diet-plateau_1.html

Makes sense, the article that is. i've had my own plateaus - it's demoralising, but it's better than gaining!
  • annieheavrin
    Options
    I was also PMS'ing last week, but today I'm better! ;) So, I'm hoping that had a little something to do with it! Working out 9 hours a week, I don't think I should be staying the same - so it has to be a plateau!!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I lost 1lb the first week, nothing the 2nd or 3rd then I lost 6lbs in the 4th week. I get weighed tomorrow, fingers crossed the scales are kind!

Good luck. x
  • tommysmom2000
    Options
    I've been at this for a while now & have noticed distinct trends in my weight loss journey...one week I'll lose big & then the next week not so much. It's kind of like my body needs time to adjust all the time to my weight loss. As of this morning I'm at 27.2 lbs since October 13th. I'm proud, yes, but more than that I'm worried about hitting a real big plateau & how I'll make it through. I tell myself that it's coming, and it's normal to hit plateaus and that the important this is to fight through and NOT GIVE UP!!!

Good luck in your journey and please don't give up! :smile:
  • flstarlady65
    Options
    I'm also on week 2. Last week I lost 5 lbs...this week I did lose 1 lb. on Monday, but the same number has been staring me in the face the rest of the week. But....I'm also PMSing. Hoping that next week will bring another nice drop.

The same thing happened to me. Started and lost 4 lbs in the first weekend. Then it was time for Aunt Flo to visit! I also decided not to eat back my lost calories and do more cardio than weights. It's working!!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    for me it was like this:
    first month-10pounds
    this month-nothing

it's normal, i know it'll go down again :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The first week of weight loss almost always results in a big drop. It's water weight, don't get used to it! After that you should level off to a normal one pound a week loss. Also, if you are getting your period soon, remember you will likely bloat and it will look like you gained or stagnated (damn hormones!). That will subside, so don't sweat it.

Also, weight loss isn't linear. It is completely normal to lose nothing for a week, one pound the next week, nothing for another week, then drop two pounds. There is zero consistency!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    LOL. Plateaus get a lot worse than that! I plateaued for 7.5 weeks! Didnt lose a thing! I changed my eating habits, changed my workouts 3 times each!!!! NOTHING! It took forever to get through it! I would only expect 1-2 lbs a week.. 5+ lbs /week not reasonable unless you are quite over weight. But for most .5-2 lbs/week is avg, Good luck! ..
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Generally you will lose more the first week because you will lose excess water weight. Depending on how hard you work out, the second week you could be retaining a little extra water around your muscles if you are putting them under stress. This happened to me, and after a few sore days, once my muscles stopped hurting, my weight went back down a few times. Also if you do a little research into it, 1 week that we see on the biggest loser, is actually longer on the actual ranch. They call it a "weekly" weigh in, but I watched and read several articles that say it can be anywhere up to 2 weeks between weigh ins on the ranch, so those numbers they hit can give a false impression, making us think they lost 15-30lbs in the first week, when really it may have been longer, so who knows how far in they actually are on the "second" week aired. Once your body adjusts I would guess it will start coming off more steadily!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Actually I was working out really hard and I lost about 8 pounds in two weeks and then didn't lose anything for two weeks (in fact gained about 3 pounds). This week I had a major asthma attack and kept on track with food but couldn't do the gym - finally lost some weight on the scale :bigsmile: Although I do have to say that my pants are a lot looser and I was even able to wear a pair of pants that I couldn't button four weeks ago (so I know I was losing inches). I did tape myself at the beginning of January and will re-tape this weekend. Plateaus happen and sometimes the scale doesn't do what we want it to do. We just have to remember that what we are doing is better for us than what we were doing before and sooner or later the scale will show it. Good Luck and hang in there - I know how frustrating it can be but it is worth it in the end:flowerforyou:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I started in January and I havn't hit a plateau yet, I know it's coming though!!
  • offdutyguy
    Options
    I lost approx. 26 lbs. in about 5 weeks. I hit a 2 week plateau. Plateau's are just part of it. Ive been changing up my routines a little and finally broke the plateau last week and lost another 4 llbs. When you hit a Plateau try to change some things up. Maybe some Cardio you have not done before. Good luck
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it! I hit plateaus every few weeks, and even see gains on some days (Could be due to anything like water retention, time of month, sodium intake, etc.) Just know that your patience and consistency will pay off. In a few days it will "whoosh" off and you'll start losing again. I've lost 47lbs so far, and it is never a consecutive 2 lbs per week, even though it should be. I never go over calorie allotment, and bust my butt working out. I'll have a week where I don't lose a single pound, then the next week I'll lose something crazy like 6, then the next week maybe only a lb..but overall it averages out.

It's sort of wierd how it all works...but believe me, don't be discouraged. Unless you are eating too many calories, eventually your body WILL lose the weight. Take your measurements too. Especially if you work out. I find some weeks that I don't see a budge in the scale, I actually lose inches.

Good luck! Don't give up if the scale gets stuck, you can always modify calories or exercise going forward if things don't start changing, but you just have to have patience, especially if you are already smaller and have a lower amount to lose to begin with.
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started out with just exercise, no changes to food in the first week and lost 3 lbs.
    Second week, stuck to 1300 cals per day and exercised and lost 4 lbs
    Pushed exercise harder in week 3 and stuck to 1200 cals and lost 2 lbs.
    Week 4 lost zero
    Week 5 lost 1 lb.
    Now week 6 and because of cold and flu have done no exercise and had a few calorie heavy days ( although only 1800 max). Not sure if to bother weighing in this week!

It's a long journey (I'd like to lose 50lbs in total) so no need to rush or panic too much!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your stories!! Makes me feel MUCH better and is keeping me VERY motivated!! To everyone who brought up PMS: WHY!!! lol pms is horrible, all the bloating that goes on at that time of the month is such a pain in the *kitten*!!Not to mention the cravings!! Week two is almost over for me, so I hope next week is better :)
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Almost 2.5 months here! Tried everything... Won't even go through the list. The latest is upping protein... Next will be beating the scale senseless! :)

Hang in there folks!