post-running fueling and hunger control

Options
Lately, on days that i run, it seems as if my hunger is out of control. I load up on protein afterwards, but that craving for something fatty sets in. i drink water and tea to curb that and eat lots of fresh fruit, but its as if my metaboism is out of control! what does everyone use for post-run protein?

Replies

• vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Lately, on days that i run, it seems as if my hunger is out of control. I load up on protein afterwards, but that craving for something fatty sets in. i drink water and tea to curb that and eat lots of fresh fruit, but its as if my metaboism is out of control! what does everyone use for post-run protein?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It's not all protein you need after a run. One of the best things you can drink after a run is a nice cold 8oz glass of low fat or non fat chocolate milk.

I would suggest you go to runnersworld.com and they have a ton of info on what you should eat before and after a good run.

You definitely need to add some carbs to the after meal! :drinker:

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-242-301-0-0,00.html

don't add links very often so I hope it works :blushing:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    It's not all protein you need after a run. One of the best things you can drink after a run is a nice cold 8oz glass of low fat or non fat chocolate milk.

I would suggest you go to runnersworld.com and they have a ton of info on what you should eat before and after a good run.

Yep this is true. You need some carbs. It will be turned into Glycogen and stored in your muscle for your next run. A banana with some peanut butter is good to.
  • vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    i do love my carbs, and eat them often. for example, this morning, after a 6 mi run, about 50 min long, i had a flax waffle, topped with yogurt and berries, and a morning star sausage patty. plus a glass of milk. all that is 400 calories, of which 28 g of protein and 56 of carbs. you would think its plenty huh? then i walked a mi to work, and two hours later im starving.

another thing is adjusting for fat/carbs/fiber after exercise. the system auto-adjusts protein and carb i think, but what does everyone do for other intake? do you increase it also?
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    After your done running your body wants to replace those carbs for stored energy. That is best done right after a run. But if you don't have those carbs right after your run, and have them the next morning, your body was still waiting for them. It needs them for you next run. This is probably why you are starving.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

agree! I have a glass of non fat chocolate milk and a banana =]
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options

great link! very informative, esp to new runners like me :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    i do love my carbs, and eat them often. for example, this morning, after a 6 mi run, about 50 min long, i had a flax waffle, topped with yogurt and berries, and a morning star sausage patty. plus a glass of milk. all that is 400 calories, of which 28 g of protein and 56 of carbs. you would think its plenty huh? then i walked a mi to work, and two hours later im starving.

another thing is adjusting for fat/carbs/fiber after exercise. the system auto-adjusts protein and carb i think, but what does everyone do for other intake? do you increase it also?

I am fairly new to running and can only strongly suggest you go to runnersworld.com there is so much information available on there. Even though I am heavy I wasn't eating what I should before and after runs and not only was I hungry ALL day after a run but my runs were suffering from not properly refueling. Runners need more carbs than non running peers. More carbs than most weight loss info suggests. Carbs are runners friend! :laugh: