Eating to much and working out

Options
I am finding I have a hard time not eating over my calories!! I have an especially hard time not snacking and eating junk food in the afternoons!!
Today I did not eat the best I was over my calories by 603 but I worked out on my elliptical and burned 755 calories, so I ended still under my calories on my food journal. Am I going to make any progress with this over eating if I am still exercising too?

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you're getting the calories from working out, you can get away with these snacks. However, I would advise having less of the junk and trying to slowly replace with healthier foods like raw carrots or popcorn with no butter or salt. As this can be a drastic change, don't go all cold turkey, but it will definitely give you more energy for the calories and maybe help with the cravings. Good for you for such a good workout!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd say that if it doesn't throw off your body's idea of how much you need to eat, it's not a problem. As long as you're staying under your net calories, you should be fine. Personally, I find my problem with this is: I burn about 500 calories on the days that I go to the gym, and I use to always eat most of that back, but then on the days that I wasn't going to the gym, my body automatically wanted me to be eating those 500 calories that I wasn't burning. The first month of by weight loss I only cut back my calories, and I didn't really increase my exercise, and I was fine sticking to my calorie limit, so i know that I can. As soon as I started working out though, and I was eating back those calories, I was craving food like crazy on days that I didn't need those extra calories. Anyways, bringing my giant winding story to an end, personally I find I need to be eating the same amount of calories everyday, and since I don't have the time to go to the gym everyday, eating back my calories is a bad idea for me.
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure out why on some days I just can't stop eating and others I do really well. I think eating sugar early in the days makes for a "bad" day. Also, maybe try to find a safe filling snack. For me I now consider oatmeal with brown sugar dessert. It's filling, good fiber, and still better than a bowl of ice cream (my nemesis!). Good luck.