Ballet workouts, anyone?

Options
My weight has been up and down over the years, but I really think this time I'm going to lose the weight and keep it off for good. I've finally found an exercise routine that I absolutely love to do. I can't believe I actually look forward to working out!

I'm currently doing Mary Helen Bower's 'Ballet Beautiful' DVD workout, Jennifer Galardi's 'Ballet Body', and occasionally getting on my exercise bike to mix things up. However, I find that these two workout videos are FAR more intense than my exercise bike will ever be.

Is anybody else doing a ballet-inspired workout? Any success stories out there?

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the New York City Ballet workouts! haven't done them in a while but they are great! I took ballet when I was a little kid plus a few semesters of it in high school. It was so fun! I love the warm up, it totally takes me back to 1st period ballet class every morning! lol!
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've heard of those, but I've never taken any ballet lessons. Do you think they would be okay for a beginner?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I don't do ballet anymore, ruined my knees with it... But I love belly dance! Dancing of all types is great, and can be loads of fun! Coming from a classically trained background, belly dance is a complete shake-up but loads of fun! It gave me back my waistline!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I've heard of those, but I've never taken any ballet lessons. Do you think they would be okay for a beginner?

The nyc Ballet ones may be a bit hard with no background...they move pretty quickly and the instructor doesn't give much info on form. I have heard that they have a beautiful book on all the positions and how to execute them though and that could be helpful to you.

I think there's a workout called Ballet Bootcamp that has more form instruction. I thought they had clips of it on youtube to try. You can also find the NYC ballet workout clips on there, too, and check them out to see if you like them without actually making a purchase first. :flowerforyou:
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    I'll definitely have to check those out! Thanks! :)
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    Bump! I'm curious to see if anybody else has had any success with ballet workouts?
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know this is irrelevant, but my mother put me in ballet when I was young. I had about 3 lessons and told her bump that! I'm playing soccer. :)

*I have nothing against ballet and from what I understand it's a great workout.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love ballet workouts. I do the New York City Ballet ones. They're hard! And a very nice different kind of hard from something like running or weight lifting. I don't know what all it does for weight loss, but it's got to do something for general well being!
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I started dancing ballet about a month ago, and omg yes do I see results. I take around three ballet classes a week plus contemporary and some other classes. However, I do feel like my biggest gain has been in ballet. I played field hockey, basketball, and lax all throughout high school and have ran/lifted. Never have my legs toned up so fast especially my quads and toned up in a totally different way than the other things toned up my legs even yoga. The nyc ballet workout at least the first one does a lot of barre work on the floor, I think its good for a beginner. I did it with no prior experience before actually attending dance classes. I just ordered a couple other ballet dvds to check them out, I'll let you know how they are once I do them!
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do the NYC ballet workout and absolutely love it. Such a gentle *kitten* kicking... To classical music.... With a deep voice reminding you to 'not stick out your buttocks', lol. So great though.

I have zero ballet training and am a clumsy oaf, and I can do it. I actually found it MUCH more doable than 30day shred, insanity, or the other DVDs I have. And much more pleasant.

I just heard of ballet beautiful and was thinking it looked really similar. I think I'll buy it and give it a go!
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I bought the New York City Ballet Workout DVDs a few years back.
    Never kept up with doing it, but I did enjoy them.
    Didn't get any results though *my own fault)
  • Bassangelmls
    Options
    Hi! I just ordered the Ballet Beautiful DVD Bundle on Amazon. It should be here by the end of next week! I have had a gym membership for 3 years now ... and have only been there 8 times, three of which were to cancel but somehow I let them convince me to try again. I'll be going back in July to put my account on hold and then in the winter I'll be cancelling it.

Ballet Beautiful sounds like something I can do in my living room. I thought of trying NYC Ballet but I think they have a mini dance routine at the end (putting everything together) and I just don't have the space for that. I took Ballet as a kid and have always been fascinated with it. I wanted to grow up to be a dancer but I'm shy when it comes to wearing minimal clothes. But God had a better plan ... he gave me a love for music :)

I'm thinking I'll keep a progress blog ... see how it goes. Can't promise anything though ... I tend to forget to keep up with blogs ... lol.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I started taking dance classes last year and lost a pant size. I just ordered the Ballet Beautiful DVD's and they should be here soon! I can't wait. I plan on taking at least 3 dance classes next year. Dance makes me feel graceful and strong - it's by far the best workout I've done.
  • eskimite
    eskimite Posts: 56
    Options
    Ballet Beautiful kicks butt...literally! I bought the bundle DVD pack a few weeks ago and really like them. The two Butt Blast Series are killer..and I can't make it through the whole way without serious modifications and additional rests. I have no idea how she does it...I was in serious pain by the end! :-) I'm working them in a couple times per week with other videos, mainly kickboxing, Jackie Warner and Jillian Michaels workouts. I hope she comes out with more videos!
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Back when I first did the NYC ballet DVD I had no real dance experience to speak of but found it relatively easy to follow along. I did watch the DVD a few times through before starting with it which I think helped me keep up.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love this workout. It's what I've been waiting for for years. Come back to the boards everyone!

Oh, and my DVD's are in the mail. :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There is supposed to be a new Ballet Beautiful DVD released this November. She has some new cardio videos on her website that I hop will be released on the DVD!
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    Options
    She also said she's in New York doing some training and she was going to make new DVD's regarding what she learned there. Go girl!! LOL.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump.

I'm around week 3 with the workouts. Slimmer calves, flexibility, a few less pounds, more energy and a better posture is what I have to show for it so far. Makes me crave more and it seems to break through my laziness. I'd like to find more "class-like" DVD's. Mary Helens are great for so many parts of the body, but I'd like to continue learning ballet. Live classes are out of the question for now. It's "bad" enough that I'm restarting so late in life, I'm not going to display my curvy spanish butt out there in front of these tall thin toe tappers. *scared* LOL!
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    There is supposed to be a new Ballet Beautiful DVD released this November. She has some new cardio videos on her website that I hop will be released on the DVD!

Awesome! I saw the new streaming videos, but I'd rather get the DVD. I'm glad she's coming out with a new one! :)