Realistic goal to loosing pound(s) per week?

Options
Hello MFP friends! I was wondering if you can help or give me a realistic goal as to how many pound(s) to loose each week?

Replies

• Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it is best to lose ONE pound a week so that you can keep the weight off and it is better to lose it slowly than rapidly.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There seems to be pretty general agreement on that - it's also much easier to do because your calories are obviously not nearly so restricted.

Bear in mind that the first week you will probably lose more than that (water, mostly).
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think less than a pound every week or two is unrealistic because you will be discouraged. Two pounds a week is usually considered the limit for what is safe and healthy. I wanted to be a little aggressive but still make it easy enough for me to reach the daily goal so I chose 1.5 lbs a week.

I'd start with 1lb/week and see how you do. Tweak it from there- unless you're happy and want to stay with it.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know this is not the norm but I would put you on a 1500 calorie diet, lot of fiber and protein and vitamins. Work out 5 days a week for at least 45 minutes. Progress at your own pace, you don't have to go over the 45 minutes just ramp it up more and more until you are satisfied. Don't eat back your exercise calories and I think you could lose 2 1/2 pounds a week. I guess it depends on your mindset. You are young and your body can take a good bit of pounding when you exercise. You can go the 1 pound route, up to you.
    Good Luck either way
  • Kimmerz1
    Kimmerz1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help much appreciated :)