Should I bother with building muscle now?

Options
Hi, I am asking this because I have around 90lbs to lose, and since I am at the start of my weight loss I would really like to see the pounds go down first and foremost, I know that I have a long way to go before I start seeing any sort of muscle definition because it's all covered by fat at this point. I really enjoy lifting weights and would like to work up to heavy lifting, but I know that to build muscle you need to consume more calories.

I really want to maximize my weight loss (in a healthy way) for these first few months and so far it's coming off slow, so I'm wondering if it make sense to focus on calorie counting and maybe some cardio, and leave the weight training when I have less than 50 lbs. to lose? Or should I restrict my training sessions or something like that?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    no reason to wait - lifting now will help preserve the muscle you have and most people find they lose inches faster while lifting.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to build muscle in a calorie deficit...HOWEVER...ppl much smarter than me (Lou Schuler, NROL, for one) say that if you are ever going to build muscle in a deficit, it will be as a complete novice to lifting, with a good bit of weight to lose.

After that, strength training can help you preserve muscle while in a deficit, since using those muscles sends the signal to your body that you still need them.

I say don't wait. Take advantage of the Newbie Gains, and then you will have lovely, firm muscles to uncover as you get closer to your goal. Plus, weightlfting makes you feel AMAZING!
  • melrose09
    Options
    yes yes, yes! The more muscle mass the more calories you'll burn :) You can successfully weight/strength train and still maintain a decent calorie deficit. Just make sure you are getting plenty protein to help build that muscle. I get so pumped when I see larger people working their butts off (literally) at the gym. I don't even know them and I'm so proud of them! Best of luck to you! :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Leans muscle mass burns more calories. I have lost 52 pounds so far and I do a pretty even split of cardio and strength training.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Do it now! You'll look like you are losing weight faster...even if the scale moves slowly. You will definitely lose more inches. And your workouts will get easier.

And you might be surprised: some parts of your body will show sooner than others. Maybe after you are part of the way down you'll discover great legs or awesome arms. :) You might be wearing sleeveless tops and short skirts sooner than you think.

**Personally definition in my arms and legs show up pretty fast. Even when I weigh more.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I was going to post a similar question, but didn't.

Strength training makes me feel like a badass, so I recommend it. Plus I find I can eat a lot more when I strength train and still lose weight.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to build muscle in a calorie deficit...HOWEVER...ppl much smarter than me (Lou Schuler, NROL, for one) say that if you are ever going to build muscle in a deficit, it will be as a complete novice to lifting, with a good bit of weight to lose.

After that, strength training can help you preserve muscle while in a deficit, since using those muscles sends the signal to your body that you still need them.

I say don't wait. Take advantage of the Newbie Gains, and then you will have lovely, firm muscles to uncover as you get closer to your goal. Plus, weightlfting makes you feel AMAZING!

Good to know. I'll continue with my lifting to take advantage of the newbie gain, thanks for the info!