MFP and WW Points?

Options
Ok looking at the weight watchers program in conjunction with my new healthier habits to really have me focused again... Thoughts? What's your experiences with WW?

Replies

• SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who has been on weight watchers, loses a great amount of weight fairly fast, then gains it back even faster. I say just eat right and exercise. It'll only be better in the end, and save you money.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I love weight watchers and it taught me A LOT. I moved to a country without WW and did not like the online program. Really liked the meetings. For the "online" experience, I love MFP and counting calories - it has really helped me create a support system and I have learned more and more
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Personally WW was great for me at the beginning of my journey! I have lost a total of 40lbs and half of that was on WW. I started to find, however that using WW, I could still eat junk. Not that I don't eat junk now, just far less of it. With MFP I get the whole picture in black and white and it forces me to pay closer attention to all the nutrition facts. With WW I get one number and nothing else matters. It's all about choice, but I tend to hold myself more accountable when I see it all.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I didn't put it back - kept the 100 pounds off for ten years :-)
    Until I fell in love with a classical chef... Butter!
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I still use the concepts I used in weight watchers while using MFP. For instance what does a normal portion size look like, what sort of foods will make me feel fuller, etc. WW will give you lots of tips on how to manage your head while you're on this journey, and also give you lots of ideas for good foods to eat and recipes to cook.

It's actually exactly the same as calorie counting, except WW takes not only calories, but fat and fiber into account in its points system.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds on weight watchers then put 30 back on. lol

For me, I think I'm finding it makes more sense to watch calories than assigning everything points.

Also, weight watchers online food tracker is nowhere NEAR as extensive as the one here. I was continually having to write down all the info of everything I ate because it wasn't in their database.
  • mysteriousmillie
    Options
    I'm currently doing the new weight watchers programme, but my online membership is coming to an end today and I am not renewing it, I have all the tools and I have downloaded a brilliant app for £2.99 as opposed to £10.95 per month for WW online, which I greatly object to paying when (a) a lot of the points values of food on their database is incorrect and you have to double check with a points calculator and (b) free sites like MFP has a far more extensive database of food with full NI than the WW website, for example MFP has the full M&S Simply Fuller for Longer range whilst WW online has about a third of them on the website.

Essentially I still like and believe in the concept of WW and about controlling portion sizes, but this week have done an interesting experiment and comparing daily calorie allowance vs points - each day I have used up my points allowance but have been anything up to 350 down on my calorie allowance, I can look at this one of several ways - either I'm not eating enough, I need to eat more fruit and veg or I have put in the wrong settings LOL (dont' think its the latter, I have put myself down as active, and exercising 3 times a week - i walk to work 4 days a week (a mile each way) and actually go tot the gym/swim 4 times a week on average). But I am 10lbs down since 2 January so I am really happy with that. I can see my maybe eventually moving from WW to calorie counting in the future though.