What mantras do you have.....when it gets tough......

Options
13»

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    "This too shall pass"!

This!!
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think about my Dad who had a heart attack and triple bypass 3 years ago because he didn't eat right and was overweight. I keep thinking to myself "This is not as bad as what he went through, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go through the same".

My Dad has since turned his life around and eats well and goes to the gym about 4 times a week. If he can do it after all that, I can do it before =)
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When words are no longer there its a firm growl of c'mmmmooooonnnn

And if I count a rhythm - say 12345678,12345678 etc its hard to stop and break the count
  • cajmanthei
    cajmanthei Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Love this..........thanks:drinker:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I won't get any less tired sitting on the sofa.

Are my legs giving up? No. Is my heart giving up? No. Are my lungs giving up? No. Keep going then!

I also count, up to 60 and back down again. I heard Paula Radcliffe does it. Helps pass time and you can tell yourself, "Just one minute more" but it never finishes!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Well as embarrassing as it is, I... um.... have this Kindergarten song I sing in the rhythm of what I am doing...you sing it once the way it is and then start replacing all the vowels with an a, then e, i, o and u. And I do it over and over again...:embarassed:

I like ope ope ope opples and banonos. :)

Mine is "keep going"
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    I remember that if I'm training hard, then my competition is probably training even harder.

I have to decide then in there if I want if badly enough.

Henry Rollins "Iron and Soul" always rings through my head too :smile:
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's only pain, it's only pain, it's only pain ...

I also tackle hill runs by imagining that I'm pulling myself by my arms up on two steel cables - works a treat!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I tend to have music on I can sing, or at least mime, to as it gives me something to think about. Also the thought of those who laugh when I say I run
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When I run, walk, elliptical at home.. I look at my brother's picture (he passed away 8 years ago) it helps tremendously.. i say "for you, Darek." If I am outside walking/running.. I focus on his image and the time we ran together. I run in the memory of my brother.

RIP 5/15/84 - 8/11/04