Do you know your recommended BMI and weight?

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
According to my WiiFit I should be just under 117 pounds. I think I would look skeletal at that weight! I just upped my goal to 129 instead of 125 to see how I look after 7 more pounds. That puts in a normal BMI range.

Have you checked your recommended BMI and weight? What do you think about the suggested numbers?

Replies

• Frost
    Options
    According to my WiiFit I should be just under 117 pounds. I think I would look skeletal at that weight! I just upped my goal to 129 instead of 125 to see how I look after 7 more pounds. That puts in a normal BMI range.

Have you checked your recommended BMI and weight? What do you think about the suggested numbers?
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with you! I am 5'7" and currently weigh 189. I made my goal 159lbs, because that is the MOST I am supposed to weigh. The range I'm supposed to be in to be at a 'normal' weight according to the BMI calculators is 118 - 159. I can't imagine me back at 120 again!

I think I would still be comfortable around 140 something.. but honestly, I don't think I want to be smaller than that!

just my opinion i suppose
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Those recommendations are always crazy small.

My "ideal weight" is somehwere around 100 but I've been there and know how I look at 100 and I definitely don't want to go there again (was sick)!

Anyway, I'm shooting for 130 (132 is the highest that classifies as healthy for my height) ... it's about the weight I was before I went on birth control.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Those recommendations are always crazy small.

My "ideal weight" is somehwere around 100 but I've been there and know how I look at 100 and I definitely don't want to go there again (was sick)!

Anyway, I'm shooting for 130 (132 is the highest that classifies as healthy for my height) ... it's about the weight I was before I went on birth control.

I agree
    I ignore the big brother no name crap that is being fed to the masses

blood pressure
    fat percentage
    cholesterol to a certain extent
    those are the concerns that merit our attention

feeling good is good enough for me:smile:
  • Jenny_Bee
    Jenny_Bee Posts: 102
    Options
    There definitely needs to be a better system than the body mass index. Apparently my friend is obese, (which after hearing has put her in a nasty mind set) and the fact that i teeter on the line of normal and overweight is driving me nuts!

I say not to take it too seriously, and set a goal for yourself (because you know your body), or talk to a doctor who doesn't insist on the BMI chart.
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    I teeter on the line between overweight and obese... And no one believes me
  • Frost
    Options
    I was starting to feel like I was some mutant freak big boned Irish girl! Glad to know the suggested numbers don't work for others as well! I remember weighing 116 pounds when I was 18. I was really thin. Great weight for bikini wearing but not necesarily healthy.

Which brings me to the dreaded summer ritual of trying on bathing suits under those crappy store lights that make you look heavier, paler and strangely not yourself. Argh! At least this year I will be thinner for the tortorous ritual!