Not losing!

Options
I have been very good at eating between 1300-1500 cals. a day. I don't exercise a whole lot because of two bad knees, but I do try to daily get in some physical activity. I have Lupus and sleep alot also. My Doctor told me not to go real low on the calories because I wouldn't get enough nutrients. I haven't lost any weight at all, but gained! Don't know what to do, but know that giving up is not the answer.

Replies

• charlenecynthia
    Options
    I have been very good at eating between 1300-1500 cals. a day. I don't exercise a whole lot because of two bad knees, but I do try to daily get in some physical activity. I have Lupus and sleep alot also. My Doctor told me not to go real low on the calories because I wouldn't get enough nutrients. I haven't lost any weight at all, but gained! Don't know what to do, but know that giving up is not the answer.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your weight is, your height, what types of food you are eating, what kind of deficit you are on, etc. If you ate really badly before, or were at starvation level (1200 or less cals per day) then you will gain weight in the beginning but you will take it back off as your metabolism adjusts.

Make sure to count your "net" calories, rather than all calories consumed - net calories = total calories eaten - exercise cals. Also, you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor to see what calories you are using in the exercises you can do.

You might be consuming too much sodium, which is making you retain water. Be sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, more is better.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    If you can't exercise, then you really have to chose nutrient dense food. You should keep it simple: 5-9 fruits and veggies, Good proteins such as chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, (1 each meal), complex carbs such as 100% whole grain breads and pastas, brown rice, cereals, old fashioned oats. 8 -8oz glasses of water every day. Here's a sample day:

B= 1/2 c oats, 1tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 c milk (skim), strawberries

snack= 1 apple, 1/8 cup walnuts

L= 4oz chicken breast tenderloin, 2 cups salad, 1tbsp. olive oil w/vinegar, OR 1 cup veggies, and 1 slice ww toast w/ apple butter, 1/2 c milk

snack= celery w 1tbsp peanut butter

D= baked salmon 4 oz, 1-2 c veggies, ww toast OR brown rice OR pasta

You can do this in 1300 cals per day. This is a smple of what i eat on a good day. Hope that helps.