Exercise at home?

Options
I'm at my aunt's house, 230 miles away from home, and there is no treadmill, no weights, no TV, and no gym. To top it off, it's raining outside, so I can't go running.
What are some exercises you do at home when you can't go outside.
I'm thinking yoga, but the amount of calories it shows you burning does not look right to me. Plus, I don't have a HRM, so I won't know for sure.
Please, I need some ideas.
All I've done today is sit and drink coffee, then added up al the creamer and sugar and discovered the astonishing amount of calories.
Please, I really need some exercise ideas to burn some serious calories if I want to eat tonight.

Replies

• cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    I'm at my aunt's house, 230 miles away from home, and there is no treadmill, no weights, no TV, and no gym. To top it off, it's raining outside, so I can't go running.
    What are some exercises you do at home when you can't go outside.
    I'm thinking yoga, but the amount of calories it shows you burning does not look right to me. Plus, I don't have a HRM, so I won't know for sure.
    Please, I need some ideas.
    All I've done today is sit and drink coffee, then added up al the creamer and sugar and discovered the astonishing amount of calories.
    Please, I really need some exercise ideas to burn some serious calories if I want to eat tonight.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    put on a raincoat
    walk
    explore the area
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    run in place, jumping jacks, dance.
  • NoraEE
    NoraEE Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is a great workout. Just make sure your aunt doesn't have low ceilings.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    dance, dance, dance
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    run in place, jumping jacks, dance.

do that to your favorite tv show plus pushups, crunches, burpies, climbers, etc, anything to get your heart up and alot of sweat!
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    I don't have a raincoat, I didn't know it was going to rain here.
    And I don't have a jump rope or string, either.

But maybe I'll try dancing.
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like to do regular calisthenics, like crunches, calf raises, and leg lifts. As an alternative, look up Tae Bo on YouTube. There are actually a lot of workout routines on that site!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

use a plastic garbage bag....have fun
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Random youtube routines sound like fun. You might even discover something new.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

use a plastic garbage bag....have fun

Yep-- and you can imagine you're holding a jump rope-- to quote Nike-- "just do it."
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    jog in place. walk in place. turn on the radio for music. do situps. crunches. use household items for weights - a jug of milk or juice, etc.
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place actually burns a lot of calories but is no where near as fun as dancing! *humming Disco Queen*
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Got stairs at her house, run up em as fast as you can, slowly walk back down, after 5 sets, do jumping jack for a full minute then jump squats for a minute, followed by pushups, so this for a solid 30 minutes, and there ya go, full body workout, and mega calories. It's true that yoga doesn't burn a whole heck of alot of calories, it's a shame, cause it's sooo good for you.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I went for my jog yesterday and it was raining really hard- no raincoat or anything... just a sweatshirt that is (literally!) still hanging in the shower dripping. It actually was kind of fun- something different! Doing the same thing everyday gets boring, so call me crazy, but I didn't mind it! :happy: