strange taco bell request

Options
2»

Replies

• ruggedBear
    Options
    Check out what's really in the meat:

"Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

It looks bad but passable... until you learn that—according to the Alabama law firm suing Taco Bell—only 36% of that is beef. Thirty-six percent. The other 64% is mostly tasteless fibers, various industrial additives and some flavoring and coloring. Everything is processed into a mass that actually looks like beef, and packed into big containers labeled as "taco meat filling." These containers get shipped to Taco Bell's outlets and cooked into something that looks like beef, is called beef and is advertised as beef by the fast food chain."

Full article here:

http://gizmodo.com/5742413/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    That little Chihuahua pees on every order before it comes to the window.
    Does that help?
  • bigstackted
    Options
    I worked there and they go on honor system. If you say that you wash your hands frequently, you dont have to wear gloves to prepare the food. So, just remember, whoever is making your quesadilla, has probably picked their nose, scratched their head (or butt) and may or may not have washed their hands after going to the bathroom.

I worked in the restaurant industry for over a decade and this has always made me chuckle. Denial is a powerful thing. Gloves don't protect you from anything. I have had to counsel MANY pepole about handling money with gloves on and going right back to making food. This kind of thing happens at every restaurant you eat in. Do you believe they don't pick their nose or scratch their butt with those on? It's about hygeine and having good habits.
    When you eat out and other people prepare your food, you are eating other people's germs. it's really as simple as that. Restaurants do alot (many of them do anyway) to protect their customers. It's in their best interest. Return business pays the bills after all. It's just not realistic to believe the food you get at a restaurant is sterile. It's not going to be. It's not sterile in your home either.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Once I was there with friends when I was a teenager,and we found a pubic hair in our mexican pizza
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Check out what's really in the meat:

"Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

It looks bad but passable... until you learn that—according to the Alabama law firm suing Taco Bell—only 36% of that is beef. Thirty-six percent. The other 64% is mostly tasteless fibers, various industrial additives and some flavoring and coloring. Everything is processed into a mass that actually looks like beef, and packed into big containers labeled as "taco meat filling." These containers get shipped to Taco Bell's outlets and cooked into something that looks like beef, is called beef and is advertised as beef by the fast food chain."

Full article here:

http://gizmodo.com/5742413/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef

Thats why they say "beefy" and "cheesy" when talking about their food. My and my boyfriend laugh at those commercials all the time. Yeah..... its "beefy".... you know..... kinda like beef but not really.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I worked there and they go on honor system. If you say that you wash your hands frequently, you dont have to wear gloves to prepare the food. So, just remember, whoever is making your quesadilla, has probably picked their nose, scratched their head (or butt) and may or may not have washed their hands after going to the bathroom.

I worked in the restaurant industry for over a decade and this has always made me chuckle. Denial is a powerful thing. Gloves don't protect you from anything. I have had to counsel MANY pepole about handling money with gloves on and going right back to making food. This kind of thing happens at every restaurant you eat in. Do you believe they don't pick their nose or scratch their butt with those on? It's about hygeine and having good habits.
    When you eat out and other people prepare your food, you are eating other people's germs. it's really as simple as that. Restaurants do alot (many of them do anyway) to protect their customers. It's in their best interest. Return business pays the bills after all. It's just not realistic to believe the food you get at a restaurant is sterile. It's not going to be. It's not sterile in your home either.

I know that people do these things with gloves on, but they dont generally go to the bathroom with them on, and it is harder to pick a nose with a glove on..... it makes you stop and think about what you are doing, and wiping your forehead happens with your forearm most of the time with gloves. Plus, they are not a porous surface that is as likely to hold on to skin cells and hair and other yuck. I dont expect it to be surgical suite sterile, but I do expect more than just a manager saying, "Ok, go wash your little hands" to a bunch of high school students and drop outs.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also work in the restaurant industry, and I know that you can make safe food without using gloves, if the hygiene is correct. Gloves can be an optical illusion of food safety. They look like they are safer than bare hands, but gloves can (and do) touch everything hands do!

I love eating at Taco Bell, but it is like crack to food addicts. It is cheap, tasty, and even ordering the healthier options can get out of hand. I bet you can easily eat 3000 calories there in one sitting!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why Subway is on there. I know you can order poorly at Subway, but, for the most part, it's good food. In fact, The Biggest Loser, advertises that all the time.

Quite the contrary, look at the nutrition info. You can make low calorie (I wouldn't call them healthy) choices at Subway, but the bulk of the menu is nowhere near low calorie.