Crossfit or Personal Trainer??

Options
13»

Replies

• jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I would suggest the trainer first, then cross fit. I am a personal trainer AND a group fitness instructor and I cringe in my group classes when the form is bad - you are just setting yourself up for injury. Pick a trainer that will teach you the right form, so down the road, you can execute multiple exercises with perfect form.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get Crossfit workouts online for free, and modify to my ability/coaching/spotters around.... and I work with a trainer to help me get the form right.

I don't care how fast the guy next to me is doing wall balls or thrusters, I will go as fast as PROPER FORM ALLOWS!!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    this is what makes me laugh about cross fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twK_pB4toBs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTEJ-Ec9XOE&feature=related

was there a single pullup done in either of these videos? even a correct kipping version?

"oh but the workout was done SO FAST!"

:laugh:
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty on the fence when it comes to the kip. It feels border line light weight high reps, and even a cheat rep.

The pull up is a top tier back builder, yet due to the hip assistance with a kip, a huge portion of resistance is taken away. It feels cheap.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Look for a trainer that is knowledgeable in the core lifts (squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift) if they steer you towards machines and cardio equipment. Run away!

Excuse you A-Hole, but I have a trainer who does primarily machines(Plated and non plated), dumbells and bodyweight exercises with me. Mainly because I have no desire to ever touch a barbell... so depending OP's goals, she may be the same. Telling her to runaway from that trainer is rude.

To OP:
    I have gone through three personal trainers in the past year, and finally found one who is working for me. I don't think that I would ever want to workout without one now.

Personally I'd never do crossfit because as I stated above, I don't want to do barbell work.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Personally I say Crossfit!!!!
  • donnellk
    donnellk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It definately depends on your goals and how motivated you are. CrossFit is a workout like you won't get anywhere else, depending on the CrossFit Box you are looking to become a member of. During every CrossFit workout, you work HARD and you leave there knowing it! If the trainers are doing thier jobs, they will make sure you are doing the reps right, and with the right form to ensure you aren't hurting yourself. You can leave the CrossFit Box everyday sore from the day before's workout and results such as strength, muscle tone, self esteem and cardio stamina happen quickly.

CrossFit does require you to be competitive; not neccessarily with others, but you have to be willing to be competitive with yourself and push yourself when you think you really can't go any further. You may not have the best time when you finish your WOD, but next time you do that same WOD, I assure you, your time will be better! If someone else finishes the WOD before you, they are going to be right behind you supporting you till the end!

CrossFit is expensive, but your RESULTS are impressive!
  • heatherterp
    Options
    our local crossfit place will let you come and try a session for free. would you buy a car without test driving it first. Meet up with a personal trainer and have a chat a long one before paying for the service. Gyms also if you ask will give you a 1 day -1 week pass for free to try them out.
  • amyesslinger
    Options
    Choose Crossfi, hands down! It's a wonderful, welcoming community that will kick your butt! You'll probably still have to do cardio outside of the workouts, but you'll be amazed how much you improve in a short time (if you stick with it). I started crossfit a few months ago. Last month we did a paleo challenge. I lost 2.5 inches off my waist and 1 inch off my hips. Find a gym that has a free "open WOD" for first timers. You won't regret it!