Exercising while sick

Options
I've come down with a nasty cold(bad cough, runny nose, etc) and have been sick about a week. Mostly since then I've laid off the exercises because I find it drains way too much of my energy for the rest of my day.

What do they say about exercising while sick? Any tips or advice for me?

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The general wisdom I hear is take it easy and let your body rest. It needs the rest to fight off the cold and recover. I know it's frustrating when you want to be working out, but rest really is better for you.
  • jamierose86
    Options
    You need to rest...let your body heal.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i am a nurse and i would suggest resting if that is what your body is saying it needs. if you are up for ten minutes or more of something then do it but really you need to get better. sometimes there is a day or two in a week that i just cant find the energy to exercise. that is my body telling me to take it easy.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I would rest until your body is better. If you MUST exercise then do a light walk....

Drink lots of water and load up on Vitamin C!
  • denisem7180
    Options
    I too was recently sick and find that working out actually helps me feel better, but it all depends on how YOU feel. There is a general rule that if it the sickness is above the neck, you are fine to work out. But below the neck, you should rest. So a cold, stuffy nose, etc., you are fine, but if you were to have a sore throat, achy body, etc., you should rest.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    My biggest fear would not be that I had to lay off the exercise, It's that I would mess up my routine schedule. Maybe you could still block out the time frame and do very light resistance or just anything that keeps you moving and on schedule. (if you think this might be an issue for you) that's what my hubby has been doing and he is now getting back into his reg workout but he's not fighting that "need to just get started" feeling.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    hmmmm... interesting information. Thanks all :)

I think I'm going to try to take it easier (as in take it light for the exercise) and rest otherwise. Maybe I'll sweat this darn thing out.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just stay in bed till I recover. Luckily for me I rarely get sick. I get sick 1-2x a year. Length of sickness for me averages 1-2 days. I haven't had to miss a day of work because of being sick in over 8 yrs. I do sometimes wish I got sick more often. I lose anywhere from 3-6 lbs. when I am sick and never gain it back either.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    oh wow. it'd be nice to lose weight and not gain it back but sadly that doesn't happen for me. :(