working at a bakery

Options
2»

Replies

• MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My Mother works at one of the top bakeries around. She's diabetic. How bad would that suck? Seriously, she doesn't eat any of it and has no desire to. She said people start working there and eat everything for about a week, after that the though of a cookie or cake makes them sick. I think you'll be alright.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My Mother works at one of the top bakeries around. She's diabetic. How bad would that suck? Seriously, she doesn't eat any of it and has no desire to. She said people start working there and eat everything for about a week, after that the though of a cookie or cake makes them sick. I think you'll be alright.
    thought*
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    you might not ever want to look at baked goods again after working there, lol. I worked at Dairy Queen when Iwas a teenager and I got so sick of even looking at ice cream. Of course I'm over that now :) But it may not be a bad thing.
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also love to bake :) But since finding out my hubby is diabetic ...and accepting that in the 10yrs we've been together I put on 40+lbs, I don't get to do it so often anymore. SO I bake for others. I do custom cake orders (out of my home). I am currently working on 2 orders this weekend and do not feel the slightest urge to eat them...well maybe just a little taste of the icing, I like to call that quality control lol.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I worked in a bakery, briefly. Everyone there was really skinny because it's a lot of work! You're constantly standing and moving around, moving heavy things, and scraping enormous quantities of batter into pans and buttercream into containers. It's a lot of fun and it must burn a ton of calories. Yes, you do end up sneaking tastes of things (and I never got sick of it) but I think the calories burned outweight those consumed.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Haha this is funny, I worked as a private cook / high-volume baker a couple years back! I had lost a lot of weight and was just maintaining.

I would say it ALL depends on the workplace!! In food service, a lot of time you don't get ANY time in a 10- to 12-hour day to sit and eat a proper meal, so you wind up eating whatever junk you've made while standing. One reason I quit was because I eventually got sick of having "lunches" of burned cookie ends and stuff, or starving until I got home and then binging as a result. If you work at a more relaxed pace where you can take care of yourself, it may not be so bad.

The good thing is that if you make the same thing over and over again, it loses its allure. That was the case for me eventually. At the beginning, I could barely handle making certain recipes (gooey pecan pie bars MMMMMM), but after a while I got sick of their smell :)
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I run a custom cake business out of my home and have for 5 years now. I usually have 5-6 large 2-3 tier cakes I have to bake every week. Yes, I still LOVE cake and yes sometimes its hard. You have to cut the tops off and throw them away, I always used to eat them, didn't want it to go to waste LOL. It's all about willpower, and you can do it! For the past 6 weeks that I've been on here, I haven't had a single bite and just throw the scraps away and quickly move on. I have faith in ya'!

P.S. If you can't find an actual job in a bakery, try to open a home based business, it's worked wonderfully for me ;)
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for your personal experiences and thoughts. Definitely a lot to consider and think about. I feel more informed now though. You all rock :)