Soy allergies and more...

Options
I have multiple food allergies. It really causes an issue most times with wanting to eat the low cal/healthier foods but i cant anymore. I am allergic to (that i have been verified my allergy testing):

Soy (this is the hardest one of them all to deal with)
Chicken
Beef
Peanut
Apples
Peaches (very high)
Oranges (Very high)
Carrots (very high)
Potatoes
Onions

I think that is it food wise...I also have sensitive reactions to most indoor and all outdoor allergens, so i know there are some cross-pollination issues with certain trees and the fruits that they bear. I havent been tested for Kiwi, but i had a reaction with itching and swelling with that too, so i wouldnt be surprised to add that to list as well. Its all very frustrating to look at the ingredients of almost ANYTHING and it has some form of Soy in it. :explode:

All in all, do any of you all have food allergies, especially to Soy, and what kinds of "processed" foods can you eat that can broaden my list of edible foods?

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't have that many allergies, but I have a friend whose daughter does. The answer is that she can eat almost no processed foods just because of the soy allergy. Your best bet is to start cooking from scratch. That way you know exactly what's in your food. Skip the fast food b/c almost all of it has soy in it and much has peanut in it (not to mention the chicken and beef). If you go out, ask how a dish is made and ask them to be specific. I'm a big fan of black beans, tomatoes and peppers myself.

If you have access to one, see a dietician. Take your list of allergens with you and ask the dietician to help you find a menu that can work with your limitations. That's what they are there to do.

HTH
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had allergy tests done at the end of November and it is an extremely extensive list including items like: soy, cocoa, chicken, oregano, garlic, coconut, basil, parsley, paprika, sesame, oats, gluten, dairy, eggs, honey, almonds, beef and turkey. Trust me the list is much longer than this. I've resided to cooking my own meals and being especially careful when eating out. Because of all the spice allergies, it pretty much eliminates any processed foods. You might ask what the silver lining might be...

After cleaning up my diet, I have lost over 30 lbs and have a lot of energy. I think a lot of people carry extra weight due to food allergies and just don't know it.

11810586.png
  • sfoy59
    sfoy59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also am allergic to soy, very highly actually. However, my suggestion is trying to make everything yourself. Or maybe even contact some company's if possible. I know I can eat some of "Back to Nature" products. Around here, they sell them in Kroger, Meijer and Whole Food Stores. However, Kroger is the cheapest. Best of luck!
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have multiple food allergies. It really causes an issue most times with wanting to eat the low cal/healthier foods but i cant anymore. I am allergic to (that i have been verified my allergy testing):

Soy (this is the hardest one of them all to deal with)
    Chicken
    Beef
    Peanut
    Apples
    Peaches (very high)
    Oranges (Very high)
    Carrots (very high)
    Potatoes
    Onions

I think that is it food wise...I also have sensitive reactions to most indoor and all outdoor allergens, so i know there are some cross-pollination issues with certain trees and the fruits that they bear. I havent been tested for Kiwi, but i had a reaction with itching and swelling with that too, so i wouldnt be surprised to add that to list as well. Its all very frustrating to look at the ingredients of almost ANYTHING and it has some form of Soy in it. :explode:

All in all, do any of you all have food allergies, especially to Soy, and what kinds of "processed" foods can you eat that can broaden my list of edible foods?

Hey!! I am allergic to a ton of food and Soy has been the worst thing for me. It is hidden in a lot of things. I have had to start to make a lot of food from scratch and I look for labels with out soy or any form of soy or with the least amount of ingredients. Mostly I eat veggies (that I can), fruit (that I can) and I don't eat a tone of processed stuff to be safe. It is hard because going out or to functions is hard. Let me know if you need anything!!

This has helped me:
    How to Read a Label for a
    Soy-Free Diet
    All FDA-regulated manufactured food products that
    contain soy as an ingredient are required by U.S. law to
    list the word “soy” on the product label.
    Avoid foods that contain soy or any of
    these ingredients:
    edamame
    miso
    natto
    shoyu
    soy (soy albumin, soy
    cheese, soy fiber, soy
    flour, soy grits, soy
    ice cream, soy milk,
    soy nuts, soy sprouts,
    soy yogurt)
    soya
    soybean (curd, granules)
    soy protein (concentrate,
    hydrolyzed, isolate)
    soy sauce
    tamari
    tempeh
    textured vegetable protein
    (TVP)
    tofu
    Soy is sometimes found in the following:
    Asian cuisine
    vegetable broth
    vegetable gum
    vegetable starch
    Keep the following in mind:
    • The FDA exempts highly refined soybean oil from
    being labeled as an allergen. Studies show most
    allergic individuals can safely eat soy oil that has been
    highly refined (not cold pressed, expeller pressed, or
    extruded soybean oil).
    • Most individuals allergic to soy can safely eat soy
    lecithin.
    • Follow your doctor’s advice regarding these
    ingredients.

http://www.foodallergy.org/files/HTRLsheet_2012.pdf
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I found a really nice soy free product by So Delicious called Cultured Coconut Milk. I use it to make "ice cream" with frozen bananas or eat instead of yogurt.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yup, the So Delicious Coconut milk Yogurt is quite good. I also use their "coffee creamer" which is very tasty. (and their ice cream is delicious!).

I don't eat that much in the way of processed foods but for protein bars I really like Vega Sport Chocolate Coconut

Ingredients: Protein blend (sprouted whole grain brown rice protein, pea protein), dark chocolate coating (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, sunflower lecithin, vanilla), Dates, sorghum syrup, energysource (grape juice, natural rice dextrins), pumbkin seed butter, saviseed (sacha inchi seeds), cocoa powder, sorghum crisps (sorghum, quinoa, rice, tapioca), dried coconut, natural coconut flavor.

it's gluten free, dairy free, soy free and free of all the other crap I can't have.

I use coconut aminos now instead of soy sauce for sushi or any other asian dishes.
    Some of the Renee Salad Dressings I have found do not use soybean oil.

Because I also can't have dairy I use Daiya Cheese which is dairy, soy, and casein free.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yup, the So Delicious Coconut milk Yogurt is quite good. I also use their "coffee creamer" which is very tasty. (and their ice cream is delicious!).

I don't eat that much in the way of processed foods but for protein bars I really like Vega Sport Chocolate Coconut

Ingredients: Protein blend (sprouted whole grain brown rice protein, pea protein), dark chocolate coating (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, sunflower lecithin, vanilla), Dates, sorghum syrup, energysource (grape juice, natural rice dextrins), pumbkin seed butter, saviseed (sacha inchi seeds), cocoa powder, sorghum crisps (sorghum, quinoa, rice, tapioca), dried coconut, natural coconut flavor.

it's gluten free, dairy free, soy free and free of all the other crap I can't have.

I use coconut aminos now instead of soy sauce for sushi or any other asian dishes.
    Some of the Renee Salad Dressings I have found do not use soybean oil.

Because I also can't have dairy I use Daiya Cheese which is dairy, soy, and casein free.

Daiya is soy free?? Awesome! I'm not allergic but I eat tofu and edamame so I try to limit my soy otherwise. That's so great to know.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Daiya is soy free?? Awesome! I'm not allergic but I eat tofu and edamame so I try to limit my soy otherwise. That's so great to know.

Yes indeedy :smile:
    Made with arrowroot and tapioca flour.

Daiya is:

Cholesterol free
    Trans Fat free
    Dairy free
    Free of all animal products (Vegan)
    Free of common allergens including: Dairy (casein and lactose), soy, gluten, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts (excluding coconut)
    Free of Artificial Ingredients
    Free of Preservatives
    Free of Hormones & Antibiotics
    Kosher Pareve/Vegan
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm terribly allergic to Soy. Stevens Johnson Syndrome which can turn deadly so I have to make sure I stay far away from soy products. I just don't buy anything processed then I know I don't have to worry about it. I develop allergies out of the blue to different things. It has been mostly medications and latex etc, but I just developed the Soy allergy so I'm always afraid I'm going to have allergies to other tfoods. I'm just happy I can still eat bananas and avocados since I'm allergic to Latex, sometimes that will lead to allergies to bananas and avocados, but so far so good. I am always waiting for another allergy to attack me though since it just happens out of nowhere.

I do love the so delicious coconut ice cream though. I am going to have to try the yogurt. I haven't seen that anywhere though. I didn't know it existed. Yum!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Soy is total and utter garbage, but yet is put into just about everything these days. There should be more education about the ill effects of soy, and manufacturers should be required to clearly state that place soy in their products (not just hidden in the ingredients list).
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Soy is total and utter garbage, but yet is put into just about everything these days. There should be more education about the ill effects of soy, and manufacturers should be required to clearly state that place soy in their products (not just hidden in the ingredients list).

^^ totally agree.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My MIL is allergic to soy, so she taught me to cook everything from scratch. Thought I killed her the first time I cooked for her because I used Margarine instead of butter.
  • adr810
    adr810 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have a food intolerance to soy among many other foods as well. If I eat anything with soy I have horrible stomach issues. I've learned to read labels very carefully and just as everyone else has said I make everything from scratch. I buy most of my foods from a whole foods type store. It gets easier to deal with in time! :smile:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    ^
  • jcollier42
    Options
    I'll be following this thread.
    Great points and ideas.

And always reassuring to hear about other people being allergic to soy as well. :/
  • roxran
    roxran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed with soy allergy. Following this. Already got great info.