Avoiding Obsession

Options
Hi all,

I am new to MFP and I've been lurking in the forums for a few days soaking up all the wisdom :)
I've been using the MFP app on my phone to track my calories for about a month and lost about 7lbs which is good.

I am a bit concerned about becoming obsessed with food and calorie counting etc though. I did Weight Watchers a few years ago but I was obsessed with food and losing weight. Everything was about dieting and that leaves little room for fun and for life. I would like to lose weight but I don't want to end up doing that again (which has put me off doing anything about my weight/healthy and thus resulted in me putting all the weight I lost and more back on).

I want to eventually get to the point of having a healthy diet and healthy weight that feels normal and natural and not forced an all consuming.

How do you all keep sane and keep your priorities straight whilst dieting?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think it comes with time. I was pretty obsessed at first too. You eventually find your groove, you realize what a portion size is without measuring everything, you are more aware of what a normal portion looks like, you will eventually get to know generally what calories are in what foods...with time comes experience and it really isn't all consuming.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm still obsessed.

But I have gotten better with justifying "high cal days". Even though I'm not always spot on, the results are on par with what I would expect.

I've been overweight my entire life, so to be able to loose, correctly, through proper diet and exercise, this is a new lifestyle for me.

I can eat whatever I want. I've gotten past that hurdle, but I choose to keep it healthy MOST of the time. If I was at my ideal tommorow, I know I could maintain without logging and keeping it off. So for me it's kind of like watching paint dry. As boring as it is, I still want to make sure it's drying up!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you continue doing what you are doing, sooner or later it will become healthy habits rather than just counting calories and working out to lose weight. What you are doing should never be solely about losing the weight it should be about creating a lifestyle in which you love yourself enough to take care of YOU - because YOU deserve the best YOU you can offer.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Food obsession is a north american pastime, in a bad way. Jokingly, either move to France for a year and find a new meaning for food and life, or make a lifestyle change where you are......
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I do want it to be about being healthier as well. I am enjoying doing more excersize and as I'm generally just eating those calories back it's more about raising my activity level than burning calories. It's just difficult not to feel bad for or worry about going over.

I'm just so impatient I want to be magically thin and healthy now!...but I know it doesn't work like that.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am not obsessed, but I am definitely much more conscience of what I'm eating and the activity I get. I think about the calories every time I eat. I think it's more or less because I'm excited about all the possibilities and the results I've achieved so far. I can still go out with my friends and have fun, go eat somewhere, or go have a drink. I definitely think about it a lot though.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster has said, it's really about learning as you go on and unfortunately this does only come with time on the programme. I think MFP works well because if you want to indulge you know what you have to burn to get that 'reward'. I'm a firm believer that this was a lifestyle change and therefore had to fit in with my day to day life, accomodating meals out with friends and other social occasions.

You do find your groove in the end. I find that during the week I eat like a saint and work-out and at weekends I let my hair down and enjoy meals in restuarants.

The rewards from reaching your goal and general improved health far outweigh a bit of abstinence to get there! : ) xx
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I'm generally an "All-In" kind of person - no matter what it is I choose to do be doing, but an obsession with health has been one of my best ones so far - at least there are lots of lasting benefits! Embrace what you are passionate about!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think it comes with time. I was pretty obsessed at first too. You eventually find your groove, you realize what a portion size is without measuring everything, you are more aware of what a normal portion looks like, you will eventually get to know generally what calories are in what foods...with time comes experience and it really isn't all consuming.

THIS!!!!
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Rather than obsessing about getting exercise join a sports group or fitness class. Soon you'll see it more as fun than exercise. For the calorie counting, it's tough not to obsess but it does get easier.
  • silverburk
    Options
    When I first started, I was very obsessed with not going over my calorie goal and I'd work extra hard to have extra calories to eat, but I eventually learned that everything in moderation and I was fine. I don't really measure or weigh anything. I just have a better eye for size. It comes with time and practice. :) Also there are sites where they teach you portion size just by using your hand. :) the same way they teach you to judge how done a steak is by using the fatty pad near your thumb.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am obsessed. But I've just gotten started so I know I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing. I know that typically I tend to relax once I get closer to my goal.
    My challenge is going to be keeping it off though. I have trouble with that, so I might need to really watch what I am eating for a long time. I'm really tired of my weight bouncing up and down.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's a learning curve and what you have to do is just keep learning. It's like the first semester at school, you have all your new and shiny tools and can't wait to apply them! Once you have the method of what works and what doesn't, it becomes simply part of your day and you get back to having fun. The change will be the way you have fun, because you'll be healthier and not worry so much about your weight and you can just be in the moment.

It can only go up from here, and it's a great ride!
    :flowerforyou:

BTW, congrats on your 7lbs!!
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I guess I will just have to keep at it. It will be great once it becomes more routine and I know more by instinct.

@smantha32 That's my problem really - keeping it off. I worry that that means dieting for ever just to stay the same weight! But I guess when you are just maintaining by then the healthiness will be more of a habit so maintainence calories will seem loads - I hope so anyway!

@laner07 thanks for the advice - i enjoy the gym and football so I'm sticking with that for now.

@silverburk - i've had a look for some of those sites, they're a good idea! They tell you how much something is likely to be compared to the size of your hand - i have small hands too so this may help :laugh:

@bikini27 good metaphor and thanks for the support!

Thanks everyone!
  • iqjones
    Options
    I think I've become obsessed with logging in...