do you reduce your cals burned?

Options
staceyw37
staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
do you subtract your cals burned (sitting) from your exercise cals burned?

so you burn 250 cal walking (1 hour) - 110 cal (for sitting an hour) ==net 140 cal burned
and therefore that is your exer cals to eat.

is that how most of you enter it in your log?
or do you enter the 250 and then just mentally take out?
or enter 250 and eat 250 exer cals?

just wondering as i'm getting more into exercise. thanks!

Replies

• staceyw37
    Options
    do you subtract your cals burned (sitting) from your exercise cals burned?

so you burn 250 cal walking (1 hour) - 110 cal (for sitting an hour) ==net 140 cal burned
    and therefore that is your exer cals to eat.

is that how most of you enter it in your log?
    or do you enter the 250 and then just mentally take out?
    or enter 250 and eat 250 exer cals?

just wondering as i'm getting more into exercise. thanks!
  • Sparkle523
    Options
    I believe it is up to you. You can either eat the extra calories if you're hungry or don't for better weight loss, just make sure you eat the entire orginal amount set.

Happy burning!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The calories I'm alotted each day is based on what I told MFP my activity level was. When I exercise I eat back all but maybe 100 or so of those calories. That's just in case I didn't calculate out one of my meals correctly. I don't worry about what I'm burning sleeping or sitting etc. just the extra exercise that I do apart from my normal routine. Hope that helps.
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When you enter the exercise you did and how long, when it displays the calories in that box, you can just click in the box and put in whatever you want.
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I subtract. So, at my allowed calories, I calculated that I use about 1 cal a minute. So when I exercise, say for 60 minutes, and burn 350 cals (using my HRM) - I subtract the 60 cals. So I get 290 cals extra to eat.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're making this too difficult and complicated. MFP is really easy to use if you are one that chooses to eat your exercise calories (which I believe you should because MFP already figured in a deficit so you lose weight). So just enter all of your information and choose your activity level (meaning how active you are daily not counting specific exercise). So if you're a mail carrier that walks around all day, then choose active or moderately active....if you sit at a desk all day you would choose sedentary.

MFP will then give you the calories you should eat each day in order to lose a pound a week (or whatever you have chosen), mine for example is 1400. Then if I exercise, I enter that and it ADDS to the calories I should be eating. So if I burn 200 calories in exercise, I would actually eat 1600 calories that day. You will still lose weight because you're already eating less than you used to, but by eating your exercise calories back, you're replacing your body the fuel that you burned off with exercise, which your body needs to function.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    I subtract. So, at my allowed calories, I calculated that I use about 1 cal a minute. So when I exercise, say for 60 minutes, and burn 350 cals (using my HRM) - I subtract the 60 cals. So I get 290 cals extra to eat.

that's how i'm doing it now--subtracting the calories i would've burned just sittin around from the cals burned acc to my hrm. this way i don't over eat.
    w/12 lbs to go, it's so slow and i want to do everything to my weight loss advantage.
    thanks
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I don't subtract.

Subtracting hurts my soul :frown:.

:laugh: :laugh: