Kind of insulted....

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I went to the doctor yesterday to get my bloodwork done to see if my thyroid is still on track, and the nurse called with the results today. I don't see the main doctor because I think he is a pompous idiot, so I see the physicians assistant whom I have always liked. Well when giving results and stuff like that, the PA has to run it by the main doctor for analysis or prescriptions and such.

So when the nurse calls, she left a message saying Dr. Wrong would like me to come back in a month for follow up, and he wants me to follow a low fat diet. Um, what? I have not actually been to him in years, and the last two times I've gone in the PA comments about how great I look and that I have done a good job with my weight loss. So did Dr. Wrong even look at my chart to see that I have lost weight?

If they did a cholesterol screen without asking me, then it's not accurate because I didn't fast before hand. Ugh, that really makes my blood boil to leave that on my voicemail, just out of the blue telling me to follow a low fat diet and no other explanation.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I went to the doctor yesterday to get my bloodwork done to see if my thyroid is still on track, and the nurse called with the results today. I don't see the main doctor because I think he is a pompous idiot, so I see the physicians assistant whom I have always liked. Well when giving results and stuff like that, the PA has to run it by the main doctor for analysis or prescriptions and such.

So when the nurse calls, she left a message saying Dr. Wrong would like me to come back in a month for follow up, and he wants me to follow a low fat diet. Um, what? I have not actually been to him in years, and the last two times I've gone in the PA comments about how great I look and that I have done a good job with my weight loss. So did Dr. Wrong even look at my chart to see that I have lost weight?

If they did a cholesterol screen without asking me, then it's not accurate because I didn't fast before hand. Ugh, that really makes my blood boil to leave that on my voicemail, just out of the blue telling me to follow a low fat diet and no other explanation.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    settle down
    you do not have enough information for your blood to boil
    stress is bad
    you are inventing stress
    quit it
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    not really wanting to start anything but it is against some HIPPA laws (patient privacy) to leave a message on any voice machines in case a wrong number is called or someone may pick up the message that is not supposed to. I work for doctors and this is a BIG no no in our office. I know it is kind of off the subject but I would be ticked about that also. If they did a cholesterol check, they should have done it fasting otherwise your cholesterol would be high. If you were not told to fast, the tests are not accurate. Talk to the office and find out the facts, but sounds like this guy messed up all the way around.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    not really wanting to start anything but it is against some HIPPA laws (patient privacy) to leave a message on any voice machines in case a wrong number is called or someone may pick up the message that is not supposed to. I work for doctors and this is a BIG no no in our office. I know it is kind of off the subject but I would be ticked about that also. If they did a cholesterol check, they should have done it fasting otherwise your cholesterol would be high. If you were not told to fast, the tests are not accurate. Talk to the office and find out the facts, but sounds like this guy messed up all the way around.

They ask me these days if they can leave a message-- I have to sign something here in New Jersey
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

They ask me these days if they can leave a message-- I have to sign something here in New Jersey

the op may have signed the consent amid the other crap she signed and not even know it
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    It's annoying to be told to do something by someone who doesn't even know what you are doing, someone who doesn't even know you.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options

same here---nebraska
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I work in heathcare in PA & this all sounds fishy to me. The voicemail, the non-fasting lipid panel, all pretty weird. Request labs for a new lipid panel.

Also the doc may not be looking at where you are now (I see you're halfway to your goal), not your progress. Just keep on keepin' on and always advocate for yourself.

126046.png
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

the op may have signed the consent amid the other crap she signed and not even know it

I specifically remember NOT signing a form that allowed them to talk about my medical history with any of my family, so I would imagine not leaving info on a voicemail would be along the same lines. They don't know whether or not my boyfriend would ever answer or check my messages on my cell.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    well good...but it isnt the end of the world or a reason to have your blood boil

good luck:smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    well good...but it isnt the end of the world or a reason to have your blood boil

Her feelings are justified.
    Stop telling her how she is allowed to feel.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

oh...you can judge? go jump in a lake
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I can judge well enough to tell you to back off.
    She is entitled to have anything she pleases upset her.
    Your first post was one thing, but coming back a second time to tell her that her emotions aren't justified is total crap. Stop picking on people.
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am sure when you see "Dr. Wrong" you can inform him of your weight loss---he may NOT have looked at the whole chart, and just at the labs. You also need to let him know how you felt about the call---hopefully he will listen and learn! At least you will get this off your chest--because right now YOU are the one hurt and mad---he is not giving it a second thought and may be surprised when you bring it up!

With regards to HIPPA--as long as he didn't say your NAME on the phone there is no violation as you would have to be able to say health information was given out with a name to match--and then there is REAL life--where offices try many times to reach patients (many patients a day, which is very time-consuming-- who are working, have phones that are cut off--you name it---There is a difference between saying your "test results were high"--and saying "Hey , Mrs. X--your gonorrhea test came back positive and we need to test you for HIV" Now THAT WOULD BE BAD!!! I would certainly let them know that NO information is to be left on your phone.

Just for general info:

The US Preventive Services Task Force states that total cholesterol and HDL (good) cholesterol can be measured on fasting OR NON-FASTING blood samples --this is a good screen in people who have no risk factors for coronary heat disease.
    LDL requires a fasting sample and is more expensive. For those at risk--smokers, diabetics, family history, high blood pressure)--the whole lipid panel is helpful.

I have spoken with doctors who are "lipidologists" and the whole idea of fasting is really being questioned. The growing movement of thought is to be fasting for FOUR or more hours---the whole overnight fast is missing some people who later develop heart disease. I mean in real life--we don't walk around fasting.

You can read up on lipid measurements, metabolic syndrome and hypertension guidelines, and when you see Dr. Wrong you may have a more meaningful discussion with him.
    By the way I am NOT suggesting you have ANY of the above but if your numbers warranted any intervention you MAY be at risk for the above.

Don't let it ruin your day!!! You are doing great---and just keep that going!!! Hope at least venting on here helped!
  • Marla64
    Options

Your first post was one thing, but coming back a second time to tell her that her emotions aren't justified is total crap. Stop picking on people.

Now settle down--

We all know by now that when we post our annoyances on these OPEN forums we're going to get a lot of stroking and "poor baby's" and some will have enough chutzpah to state if they believe mountains are being made from mole hills. Let's keep that in mind, shall we?
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

thanks...I'll just be skipping over Dave's comments from now on, they are always snippy and pointless.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options

thanks...I'll just be skipping over Dave's comments from now on, they are always snippy and pointless.

This thread seems to be turning into an Anti-Dave thread...which is completely OFF topic of what the OP brought up. (And just for the record...Dave is a good guy, he just calls it like he sees it.)

Now..back to your regularly scheduled programming...
  • Marla64
    Options
    on the contrary, I often find him unfailingly practical and down to earth. I appreciate his snap out of it advice. If anything is insulting, it isn't the advice to follow a low-fat diet, but to call someone pointless because he states an opposing view.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I would def ask for a copy of my full medical file, I guarante you signed more than one hippa form. I would get an appt asap to clear this up. we must trust and respect our PCP.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    It seems that, in his own "dave" kind of way , he was just telling you that until you chat with your PA or doc not to let it bother you. I know that is easier said than done but none the less is good advice!

I agree that you should take a deep breath! Call the doc office in the morning and ask to speak to the advice nurse or your PA to find out exactly what they found that led them to leave this message. You are doing a great job with weight loss but may still have weight to lose to be at a healthy BMI?

BTW, Congrats on your progress! :flowerforyou: