Large frame - how should it influence goal weight?

Options
I recently visited my Doctor who told me that he thought that I was getting close to my goal weight - even though I thought I still had at least 10 kilos to go. He advised that based on my wrist size of 6.5inches and height of 5ft5inches that I had a large frame and that in addition to that I had a significant amount of loose skin caused by my recent weight loss that would have to be removed surgically.(He estimates 6 - 8 kilos of loose skin)

He basically said to continue what I was doing but not to increase my exercise or decrease my calories any further. His thoughts were that I would soon plateau at a weight that was probably right for me rather than choosing a number to strive for.

I agree somewhat with what he has said as the excess skin is evident. At the age of 55 I was aiming at 68kilos or 150lbs. If I add the weight of the skin to my goal that brings me to a minimum goal of 74kilos and then I have to take my larger frame into account. I have read that a large frame can add an additional 10% to your goal but have no idea of that validity of this statement. I am currently 77.9kilos - I would love any recommendations on how much others have taken a large frame into account when establishing my goals. I still have am not happy with my belly and ab area - but recognise also that this is where the large anount of excess skin is situated.
Thoughts? Suggestions? All ideas welcome

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have body dysmorphia, you should find the weight where you look and feel healthiest. A large frame would probably make your goal weight higher, as would the loose skin. But I don't think anyone can just assign you a number and say THIS is what you should weigh. It's very individual.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with body dysmorphia and realize that there is no set magic number - but what the doctor had to say has had an influence on making me realise that the I need to increase my goal weight -as I am closer to it than I had realised. I am just looking for a ball park goal weight from others who are 5.5 and have a large frame or anyone who knows how frame size impacts on such things.
    thanks for your speedy response Elizabeth
  • debs6
    Options
    bump
  • lucybell333
    Options
    I'm 5' 3.5, so fairly close and also large-framed, which is why my goal weight is 140lb, which is towards the top end of my BMI scale. This has also been validated by my doctor, who explained it's also my fat distribution (pear-shaped) that has an influence. Hope you reach a happy conclusion for yourself!
  • ceecee368
    ceecee368 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Honesty if a medical professional told you you were at a healthy weight, I'd seriously take that into consideration. At my lowest weight I was on the very low end of a healthy BMI, but a few of my doctors felt I had dropped to an unhealthy low weight, so now I've adjusted what I think of as a healthy weight for my specific body.

Maybe you can focus more on fitness and less on the number on the scale. Just get to a place where you look and feel good.

Congrats on the weight loss so far!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have body dysmorphia, you should find the weight where you look and feel healthiest. A large frame would probably make your goal weight higher, as would the loose skin. But I don't think anyone can just assign you a number and say THIS is what you should weigh. It's very individual.

THIS ^

There is no doctor, calculator, trainer, etc that will be able to tell you some arbitrary number that you feel the best at. Once you find a weight that you are healthy and comfortable in your skin that is the right weight for you. :) It may be lower than what the doctor says, it may be higher.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    BMI is already calculated considering frames... if you have a small frame you're at the bottom range of your healthy bmi, broad frame is at the higher end. I would listen to your doctor above all else, though, and if you're doubting his opinion you can see another doctor for a 2nd opinion.
  • spgipson
    Options
    I am 5'11" and while the AMA says my "goal weight" should be between 172-178 my doctor recommends more around 190-195 because I too have a "large frame". That is about 10% more than the "average". I actually managed to get to 193 about six years ago and I did feel and look extraordinarily healthy. That is actually what I will be striving for this go around in the weight loss process.

I do think most of it is how you feel, and how you feel you look. And you look GREAT! Very proud of your success!!
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Um, whoa. This so cannot be right. I have a medium to large frame. (Meaning, my index finger and thumb do not touch, but my middle and my thumb do.) So I checked out ideal weight for both categories. I am 5'8 at 145lbs. It said I was underweight for medium frame and significantly underweight for large frame. That cannot be true. I am at an ideal weight for being 5'8, yes, but that calculator said and ideal weight for 5'8 is 154-169. Which is not true, being 160 I was medically diagnosed as overweight. You may want to check out some other resources.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with body dysmorphia and realize that there is no set magic number - but what the doctor had to say has had an influence on making me realise that the I need to increase my goal weight -as I am closer to it than I had realised. I am just looking for a ball park goal weight from others who are 5.5 and have a large frame or anyone who knows how frame size impacts on such things.
    thanks for your speedy response Elizabeth

From what you have said we are very similar.
    I am 5'4 my wrist is also 6.5 and I weigh 176lbs. My pant size is 8 US jean and my measurements are (37, 25, 37) I do lift weights regularly and have a rather muscular build.
    When I was losing weight my doctor told me the same thing except for the lose skin he told me it would take a couple of years for it to go back to normal or I can do surgery. I am a patient person and like working out and taking care of myself so I will happily wait.

I did work on maintenance for about 3 months, and I enjoyed it a great deal too :wink:

I am now lifting and have been for a few months now. Mainly working on lower my BF% to help my skin go back to normal. The theory is skin is mostly composed of fat and if the body fat percentage is low enough (17 to 20) it will help my skin contract. I have definitely noticed a difference with lifting in my body and my skin, but I also do other homeopathic things like grind up an aloe vera leaf and put it in with my bath water and stuff. If you want more homeopathic remedies I would be happy to share :flowerforyou:

Congrats on your weight loss, and now the hard work begins, learning to maintain it and making everyday decisions that will make you healthier and stronger. You can do this beautiful!!
  • JVanDam77
    Options

Um, whoa. This so cannot be right. I have a medium to large frame. (Meaning, my index finger and thumb do not touch, but my middle and my thumb do.) So I checked out ideal weight for both categories. I am 5'8 at 145lbs. It said I was underweight for medium frame and significantly underweight for large frame. That cannot be true. I am at an ideal weight for being 5'8, yes, but that calculator said and ideal weight for 5'8 is 154-169. Which is not true, being 160 I was medically diagnosed as overweight. You may want to check out some other resources.

Your middle finger and thumb are what should be used for the measurement. But you are right, I used the wrong link. It was suppose to be this one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/ideal_body_weight.htm
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I needed to look at this....I was for sure aiming for too low a body weight!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Your middle finger and thumb are what should be used for the measurement. But you are right, I used the wrong link. It was suppose to be this one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/ideal_body_weight.htm

Well ****Lots of curse words here**** I was getting excited out the ideal weight the site gave me...hahaha....I'll check the right one
  • debs6
    Options
    Thanks ever so much everyone for your ideas and responses to my question. I have checked out the links that people provided and based on my Doctor's advice and info online - plus of course your kind responses I have reviewed my weight loss goal somewhat and will probably try to lose just 3 or 4 more kilos then move on to maintenance and just then focus on fitness and toning. I have adjusted my goal and my ticker now reflects that adjustment.

I truly am not set on a specific number but just wanted some guide lines. From what I read online it would appear that my doctor knows what he is on about - and more importantly he knows me well and gave me a thorough examination before making any recommendations. Teagan - the reason he is probably recommending surgery to me is that I am hugely older than you as I am 55 and my skin was already damaged considerably by carrying my children and being very overweight for a long time and is clearly stretched to a point where it is probably not going to shrink much. He did say that it could shrink a little but recommended that he refer me readily to a plastic surgeon pretty much as soon as I have reached my goal weight.
    Thanks again everyone.

Debbie
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The one problem I have with the doctor's advice is using wrist measurement to estimate frame size. That's not highly accurate.

Frame size can definitely make a significant difference in "goal weight". I have seen the range of "ideal" weights (based on a certain percentage of body fat) range over 40 lbs for a group of women who are the same height.

If you can get a decent estimate of your body fat, it will serve as a better indicator of frame size and will also provide more appropriate guidelines for "ideal" weight.