Lunch Ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also, I like to make a salad w. spinach, feta, dried cranberries, almonds & lite raspberry walnut vinaigrette. Yum!
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    I love to make spicy chicken wraps! Grab some cubed chicken breast (you can precook it to make it faster) and roll it up in a lettuce leaf with some tomato, ranch and hot sauce. Its like a buffalo chicken wrap without the wrap! Plus some celery and peanut butter which is my daily staple.

I love vegetable soups. Anything thats gone a bit wilty from lingering in my produce drawer gets cubed and boiled with veggie broth then blended smooth. Throw in some curry, pepper, ginger and a little paprika and its good hot or cold.

I LOVE the idea of using lettuce as a wrap!!! I love wraps but even low calorie ones can be quite a bit dent in your daily calories!! THANK YOU!
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    Thank you ALL for such great ideas! I'm actually excited to try them out next!! :-)
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bigger breakfast, small lunch, and good dinner!

I find myself eating a small breakfast and lunch so I can hoarde my calories for a good dinner & a little something sweet afterwards. I don't know if that's good or not, but dinnertime & after is when I'm most likely to want to snack if I don't eat something that I really feel fulfilled with. Especially if I just finished a workout because then I'm always super hungry!
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I buy a bunch of fresh veggies: mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, onion, and a pineapple every week. I chop them all up into chunks and keep them in containers in the fridge, then just buy wooden skewers and make kabobs. No need, really, to marinate or use any sauces (a dash of Bragg's liquid amino is good). The kabobs only take a minute or two to put together since your veggies are pre-chopped. You can also add a few chunks of chicken or some shrimp and sprinkle them all with cayenne pepper. Use bread pans to suspend the kabobs (laying the kabobs inside the bread pans so that the skewers keep the veggies from touching the bottom), then roast them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I do sweet potatoes a lot! A sweet potato with homemade veggie soup or a sweet potato with a lettuce salad.

If you dont use a microwave, just cook a few at a time, and the next day you could pop it in the oven for a bit.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How about a poached egg over sauteed greens? I'd make that all the time if I went home for lunch.

Yum This...I love poached eggs on everything fish, turkey burgers. salad.mmmmm
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    I like that idea of scrambled eggs- hadn't thought about that! Whats a tuna melt? I've been making tuna wraps heating them and eating them hot....

Bread (my fave is half a piece of naan bread, but small pitas, flat buns and toast are good) + Tuna mixed with a bit of mayo or salad dressing + cheese, then you stick it under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly. Kind of like a tuna pizza.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Other than what you've already mentioned, I make a big batch of chili, rice and beans or stew and freeze it single serve containers. Take one out in the morning and it's ready to put in the microwave by lunch time

That sounds great (except I don't use a microwave but I could heat it in the oven) but when you have such a big lunch what would you then have for dinner?

It's not really a big lunch per se. 300 ish calories for 1.5 cups.

My dinners are normally 4 oz protein (chicken, fish, beef, pork) 1/2 cup starch (potato, rice, pasta) and 2 cups of veggies.
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Lately I have been eating a wheat pita with a few tablespoons of hummus, lean turkey, lettuce, tomato, red onion, cucumber, and a tablespoon of feta cheese stuffed in it. I paid about $15 for all the ingredients and it will last me a week. Yummy.

I also like Morningstar Farms Grillers veggie burgers. You can microwave them (although I pan "fry" them with a spritz of olive oil). Then I eat them on a whole wheat bun with fat free cheese, a slice of avocado, tomato, red onion, and lettuce. I will eat a side salad or veggie sticks on the side.

I also will make large dinners so I can have leftovers. Veggie soup, eggplant lasagna (made without the noodles and with fat free ricotta and light mozarella), and roasted vegetable penne last a week in the fridge, are very nutritious, and filling.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bigger breakfast, small lunch, and good dinner!

I start work at 8am and can't eat before then so I have cereal in the office which is just enough, i'm not a big morning eater.

I tend to have a bigger lunch and smaller dinner if my partner isn't home for dinner or a smaller lunch and bigger dinner if he is. But I try not to eat carbs at dinner- I find they sit in my stomach and I can feel umcomfotable in the evening.

Does it matter which meal you are eating as the biggest?

The only reason for me having a bigger breakfast is that, in the mornings, im up and getting the kids ready for cohh. Get them off, and than eat.. and I do my workouts in the morning. It fuels me for most of the morning, anf takes away my morning hungers.. which Ill get if I dont eat. I eat a lunch.. usually under 250 cals, and than a good dinner with the family. I feel full for most of the day, and my breakfast really starts me on the right path for the day. If I dont.. I just dont feel right. If i also eat junk for breakfast, sugery and just plain no good.. i feel drained and workout. I usually have cereal, toast(light wheat) or bagle thins, turkey bacon... sometimes on my bagel with Laughing cow light cheese :) YUMMMM! Im just a morning person I guess
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same as you though.. he cant eat a bigger breakfast. I guess as long as you have something.. small or big in the morning.. to jump start your matablism, It shouldnt matter.. as long as your in your calorie limits :)
  • abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat tortilla (80) with 3 oz pre-cooked grilled chicken (110), 1 tablespoon dried cranberries (25), 2 tablespoons Paula Deen's Peach Dressing (15), and 1/2 cup spinach (5) = 225 calories

Delicious and filling! Has lots of fiber and protein. ENJOY!
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    Whole wheat tortilla (80) with 3 oz pre-cooked grilled chicken (110), 1 tablespoon dried cranberries (25), 2 tablespoons Paula Deen's Peach Dressing (15), and 1/2 cup spinach (5) = 225 calories

Delicious and filling! Has lots of fiber and protein. ENJOY!

This sounds yummy, but I'm in the UK so think I cannot get the Peach dressing, any rough ideas on teh ingridients and I can try and find a similar one here? THANKS!