persnal trainers

Options
I need some input here. I am thinking there must be an error somewhere, so I am trying not to worry, but I don't want to turn a blind eye and be in denial.

I went to a personal trainer last month. He took my weight, my measurements, had the (I think it's a ) caliper thing that pinches and measures your body fat. He went through all the routines he wanted me to do. I was sore the next day. I went about doing the routines the rest of the month. I even add on some extra cardio during the weight days. He had me do one day weight, one day cardio, one day off, then repeat. On my weight days I added 20 min of cardio.

I know I have not been perfect in my eating and my schedule got all screwed up for about two weeks. That affected my eating a little bit. I still kept up with my workouts. I also got sick and had a stomach bug right before I went to meet with him this month.

I went yesterday and when he measured me by BF% went up 3%. Is that possible? I did gain 1 lb, I feel smaller and can see more definition than I could before. I mean 3% seems huge. On 180lbs. that would be 5.4 lbs of fat. I don't think I could gain that much in one month and not know it.

Do you think being sick and dehydrated could cause extra skin to fold on my back? Maybe there was an error last time, he double checked this time? It just doesn't make sense and seems like a huge error to me.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Plus I did lose inces per his measurements. Not a lot, but about 2 inches in all, all over.
  • lynzirice
    Options
    I initally gained when I started with a trainer. I have been training since September and only lost about 7 pounds. The weight has come off slow, but I am losing inches, creating better habits, and feel so much better.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I doubt that you you gained 5lbs of fat if you were close to your calorie goals. To gain 5lbs of fat in a month you would have to have had about 600 calories over your caloric maintenance daily.

I could see you losing LBM, from being sick and not eating enough but then you wouldn't have gained 5lbs of fat.

So I think this is just human error in measuring.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Dehydration does affect the electronic BMI monitor I have at home
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Those caliper measurements are not very accurate, as I've found. The best way to get a real body composition measurement are by either the handheld device that sends a little wave through your body (it kinda looks like you're holding a little steering wheel--weird) but it breaks down how much is bone, fat, muscle, etc. Or with a full body comp scale you stand on barefoot which weighs you and does the same thing as the steering wheel thingy.

That said, diet is 80% of it. If your diet wasn't on track, you could have added a little body fat or just not lost any. I would try getting a more accurate body comp assessment.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    calipers aren't 100% accurate, so it might have been that as well.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    there is a difference between losing weight and losing body fat

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/fitness/a/bodyfatpercent.htm