Cottage Cheese - possible stupid question!

Options
Is Cottage Cheese in America the same as Cottage Cheese in the UK?

ie. the white lumpy stuff?

I just wondered as people seem to sing the praises of cottage cheese on here but I always thought it looked a bit watery & gross, so I thought maybe it was something different in the US?

I wish I liked it as apparently it is a great protein source- I may have to learn some novel ways of disguising the taste (does it even have a taste?)

Replies

• smmiller46
    Options
    Yes, it is the white lumpy stuff. Have found it to be a quick fix when you feel hungry. Just a teaspoon or two will satisfy the between meal hunger. I like to dice up radishes, onion, green pepper and mix it with it which then gives it a crunch and something to chew. Also good mixed with tuna and onion.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Its also good with some fruit :)
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    LOL Thanks- I may have to try it out :smile:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I buy it here (in Canada) in little tubs - fat free and flavoured with strawberry or vanilla - yummy - 110 cals with 10g of protein:drinker:
    If you don't get the flavoured kind on your side of the ocean, just add a little vanilla essence to the regular type....(which I can't stand btw!):noway:
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I add it to my eggs and also add it to extra lean ground turkey for added moisture and "binding" and then make meatballs or burgers.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I once threw up cottage cheese. Can't go near the stuff now. Plus my mum used to make homemade stuff out of gone off milk. The vague memories I have of her draining the curd through a pair of her old tights is enough to scar anyone for life. ; )
  • Clhumpal
    Clhumpal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I once threw up cottage cheese. Can't go near the stuff now. Plus my mum used to make homemade stuff out of gone off milk. The vague memories I have of her draining the curd through a pair of her old tights is enough to scar anyone for life. ; )

AAACK! desparately trying to wipe this mental image from my mind, lol - I love cottage cheese (well at least I used to) :D
    with peaches :) it does have a unique texture, though - turns lots of people off...
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yikes- you are close to ruining it for me, too!

I like to eat mine with vinegar and pepper.... to me it tastes salty so I don't like to mix with fruit.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Good God LOL That's horrendous! What a memory lol x
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's the same. I've never been able to convince myself to eat it because to me it looks like vomit :noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds the same to me. I love the white lumpy stuff. If I've been working outside and I'm hot and hungry I like to just eat big spoonfuls right out of the carton. It's better than ice cream. It's so cold and creamy and 'curdy'. No one else in my family can stand it, though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try these this weekend

Banana-Nut Protein Pancakes

In a blender, combine
    1 banana,
    1/4 cup rolled oats,
    2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese,
    2 egg whites, and
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; blend until smooth. Stir in
    2 teaspoons chopped walnuts.
    Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into skillet to make two 4-inch pancakes; cook 3 minutes on each side. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons maple syrup

Cottage cheese in the US has a high sodium content. I've tried low sodium cottage cheese & didn't like it at all. Maybe you coulld season yours a bit. Many people like pepper, hot sauce. Also cinnamon & applesauce mixed in.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the stable of my high protein cheesecake smoothies. They are amazing!!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options

thats the worst thing I have heard in a while.. I agree I'd not eat it either if I'd gotten that as a kid... UGH:sick:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

but I always thought it looked a bit watery & gross

In North America you can get dry cottage cheese and wet cottage cheese. I like to mix the two for the perfect consistency :)
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't like cottage cheese with fruit/sugar/anything like that.... I love it with salt and pepper and put it with everything! Mix it up with my vegetables, on hamburger, with rice... I love it.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I always thought cottage cheese made people fat.
    Seriously, the ONLY people I ever saw eating the stuff growing up were fat people.

Now, I have some daily; it's fabulous with fruit.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's the same. I've never been able to convince myself to eat it because to me it looks like vomit :noway:

V omitted milk to be specific.... exactly.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I learned to love it once I discovered it's application in savory dishes. Previously, cottage cheese and peaches was my only use for it, but now I put it on toast with a little bit of salt and pepper to bring out it's cheesy qualities. Or mix it with spring onion and any other chopped veggie for a delicious dip or spread. Also works great in place of milk/cream in pasta or casseroles. Try getting the large curd variety, less runny and has more of a bite to it.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to talk myself into eating cottage cheese but now I am not sure I can.
    My neighbor used to give it to us with canned peaches when we were kids, grossed me out.
    But it is in a recipe for apply cinnamon protein bars I want to try.
    Also, I think it can be a lower-cal substitute for ricotta in lasagna.