Experienced Runners Please Help

Options
HI All! I recently took up running and I have a few questions. Seeing as I'm a new runner i'm obviously a very slow runner as well.

My main question is- What do you recommend working on first, speed or endurance?

The reason I ask is because I tried a few different ways and got odd results.

1. My fastest mile was 13 minutes, but it was a one shot deal, cause I couldn't go back and repeat it the next day or even two days later. Believe me, I tried. (about 5.5 to 6 mph with a minute or two of fast walking in there)

2. I tried to see how long I could run without needing a break, but at a much slower pace and I can keep this up, cause I've done it over and over. ( start at about 4.5 for 5 minutes, than fast walk 3.8 for two minutes than another 5 minutes at 4.5)

Now, starting from scenario two, would you recommend I start trying to run the full 10 minutes without the break in between and then work on speed? or should I work on speed keeping the five minutes than break and another five minutes?

I really am starting to enjoy running and I am kinda surprised by that. I never thought I was a runner.. Help Please!!

Replies

• Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest endurance. Once you can fully run a decent distance without stopping then you can work on your speed. Good Luck!
  • kcggirl
    Options
    Go for endurance. A good method is the Galloway method. You can search this on the internet.
    run for a few minutes walk a minute. Helps build up endurance and speed over time. Good luck!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Work on building the aerobic base first. That means gradually increase your time/distance. You can alternate between walking and running throughout your session, eventually you will be running the whole thing as you build endurance. Speed will come later once you got the distance down and want to focus on improving your time.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    HI All! I recently took up running and I have a few questions. Seeing as I'm a new runner i'm obviously a very slow runner as well.

My main question is- What do you recommend working on first, speed or endurance?

The reason I ask is because I tried a few different ways and got odd results.
    I really am starting to enjoy running and I am kinda surprised by that. I never thought I was a runner.. Help Please!!

Work on increasing distance, slowly and building up your endurance. Speed will come later :)

I would also suggest doing strength training or weights to help build up your muscles. It helps my running enormously.

And don't be surprised... running is addicting :)
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you haven't looked into yet, I'd suggest checking out the "Couch to 5K" program (or C25K). I used it on the treadmill and outside. It's a 9 week program, 3x a week that starts you out with a run/walk program.... and ends with you being able to run for 30 minutes straight.

I was NEVER a runner.... I think I always went out too hard, and tried to do too much too fast and got injured or burnt out. That did not happen when I did C25K. I finished the outside training end of November, and ran my first 5K the first weekend of December. I'm now running 5 miles. I'm still not very fast (I run at around 5.5mph or average 11 minute mile pace), but... I am continuing to go further and further.

Once you get to the point of being able to run for at least 30 minutes, I would continue on with endurance... continue to build up... speed will come eventually.

And remember the old saying.... no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch!!!

Good luck!
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Endurance it is!
    I do strength training about three times a week as well. and on the days i don't run, i do other cardio such as elliptical and stairs. It seem like i can do those forever and not get too tired or winded, but give me five minutes of running and i feel like i'm gonna die!!
  • 416runner
    Options
    Distance first, for sure, for all the reasons others have mentioned.

I also agree with the suggestion of doing some weight training. Improving my strength helped both my distance and my speed, and has helped prevent injuries.

Edit - sorry, posted at the same time as you!
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    Build up your endurance first and then when you can run x amount of miles without stopping then you can work on speed. That is what I did I started back up after a 2 year hiatus when my daughter was born and I would run a mile in about 11 minutes, walk around the library parking lot and then run a mile back. Now after about 6 months I am running consistently 6 miles on short days at 7:30 minute mile and 13.1 (half marathon pace) on my long run days.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post about the couch to 5K program. I couldn't run for 30 secs to a couple of years ago. Now I can go an hour plus (still very slow), have done a few 5k races and a 10K race. You can do it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Now, starting from scenario two, would you recommend I start trying to run the full 10 minutes without the break in between and then work on speed? or should I work on speed keeping the five minutes than break and another five minutes?
    I would recommend you work on endurance first and build until you can run an hour without stopping before you worry about speed. This seems like a lot when first starting out but the good thing about being at the beginning is that you can make big gains quickly as long as you keep at it consistently at least three times a week.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!