Protein-to-Carb Ratio

I'm a 24 y/o female with a moderately active lifestyle. I attend a cardio class (spinning) 5-6 times a week for 45 mins. I also am doing light weight lifting. I am currently working on a toning and decreasing my body fat percentage, right now I'm at 26%. I have no real "goal weight" since I do want to build muscle.

However, I am not sure what ratio of protein-to-carbs I should be eating. It was recommended to me to eat my weight in grams of protein every day. I'll be honest...I have a hard time reaching 100 grams non the less 141 grams and I'm already forcing myself to eat more protein than I normally would.

Any suggestions as to how much of each I should be consuming? I am using a "guided" MFP right now and I feel like the carb ratio is a bit high. I want to make sure I nourish my body right and take in the right amounts of nutrients. Please, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Using ratio's are a poor way to set up a diet, because the numbers get skewed depending on where your calories are.

You don't need 1g per pound of bodyweight if you can't hit it, 1g per pound of lean body mass, or target bodyweight is fine.

Protein shakes are useful for people having trouble getting enough protein.
  • Thank you :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    They set the carbs awfully high on this site. Definitely should change that. The perfect ratio depends on the person, tinker with it until you find a ratio that works best for fueling your workouts.
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    I try to stick with:

AT LEAST 35% of your calories should come from protein

NO MORE THAN 40% of your calories should come from carbs.

These were the guidelines given to me by my personal trainer, and it has worked so far.

For example, I eat about 1350 calories a day. So that means 428 or more calories should come from protein, or no less than 107 grams. I should have no more than 540 from carbs...be it complex or simple...or no more than 135 grams. Just for giggles, I usually try to keep my carbs under 100 grams per day, and bump up the lean meats or drink protein shakes that are 3g carb or less per serving.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    i would mention, the more protein you can get, the more full you will feel as protein fills you up!!! i drink protein shakes as i struggle to get protein, and i take part in lots of sports!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Definitely customize your macros. Go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes.

If you're following a progressive lifting program (and you should), I recommend increasing your protein intake to 30-40% of total calories. I lift heavy weights 3x per week and I have my macros set to 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat. Another popular split for strength-trainers is 40/40/20. For me, I find it almost impossible to eat fewer than 45% carbs (for energy!). If I go over on protein on any particular day I think it's a good thing, as long as I'm still within my calorie limit.

While in the customizing screen, I recommend increasing your fiber to at least 25g per day and lowering your sodium to 2200mg, lower is better so try to work your way down.
  • Thank you. I have a very tough time eating enough protein and have been thinking of adding protein shakes. What ones do you use?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It was recommended to me to eat my weight in grams of protein every day. I'll be honest...I have a hard time reaching 100 grams non the less 141 grams and I'm already forcing myself to eat more protein than I normally would.

I have also seen that recommendation several times on this site from MFP members, but it seems a ridiculous amount to shoot for every day unless you are a bodybuilder. I can't recall ever seeing a medical recommendation for that much protein daily. Although some say "lean body mass" which would be total wieght minus body fat, which seems a little more realistic.

Personally I don't worry about the percentages much.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    im on phd diet whey (apologies if im not meant to post brand names!!).. and they are really tasty, especially belgium chocolate. quite expensive, as are most shakes, but i find its worth it, as with all my sports, especially my kickboxing, i need to keep my lean muscle while im losing the weight, and usually when i diet my muscle goes before the flab!!!
  • subigirl
    I've been pretty happy with Apex FIT 100% Whey Protein. It is affordable, doesn't taste like crap, and has the low carbs that I like. You can get it at 24-Hour Fitness, or myapexfitness.com...but for some reason it is cheaper through 24-Hour Fitness, even through their online site.
  • Syntha 6 is a good protien shake too,,,tastes lovely,
  • bizco
    Thank you. I have a very tough time eating enough protein and have been thinking of adding protein shakes. What ones do you use?
    I prefer the low-calorie, low-fat, low-carb, high-quality protein found in 100% pure whey protein isolate. I've used the brands from Now Sports and Biochem. I buy whichever one is cheaper at the moment (prices change daily). I buy them online from Amazon but they're available from other sites too like www.bodybuilding.com. I never pay for shipping. I always buy the "Natural" flavor because I don't want the added crap (sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc.) in the flavored stuff. It tastes awful in plain water so I mix it with water and Crystal Light Pure.

Here's good info that educated me on protein supplements: (the chapter links are on the left side)

http://www.proteinreport.com/
  • Should I replace a meal with a protein shake or use it as a supplement? I mean...I barely make my numbers per day as it is lol
  • mrseelmerfudd
    Depends really. If you aren't making your numbers as it is, use it as a supplement!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Thank you. I have a very tough time eating enough protein and have been thinking of adding protein shakes. What ones do you use?

Optimun Nutrition Gold Standard Whey , tastes great and best rated every year , bodybuilding,com
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    It was recommended to me to eat my weight in grams of protein every day. I'll be honest...I have a hard time reaching 100 grams non the less 141 grams and I'm already forcing myself to eat more protein than I normally would.

I have also seen that recommendation several times on this site from MFP members, but it seems a ridiculous amount to shoot for every day unless you are a bodybuilder. I can't recall ever seeing a medical recommendation for that much protein daily. Although some say "lean body mass" which would be total wieght minus body fat, which seems a little more realistic.

Personally I don't worry about the percentages much.

Well protein is both more satiating than either fat or carbs, and helps prevent muscle loss during a fat loss diet.
  • subigirl
    Personally, I supplement. I find a protein shake makes for a good snack. I'll have a normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then have a protein shake for my morning and afternoon snacks. Helps get me to the next meal and avoid the urge to nibble on things I shouldn't.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 713 Member

Optimun Nutrition Gold Standard Whey , tastes great and best rated every year , bodybuilding,com

This. I drink the Rich chocolate.. it taste amazing and only has 3 carbs!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Should I replace a meal with a protein shake or use it as a supplement? I mean...I barely make my numbers per day as it is lol

sounds like you should use it as a supplement
  • bizco
    Should I replace a meal with a protein shake or use it as a supplement? I mean...I barely make my numbers per day as it is lol

sounds like you should use it as a supplement
    Agreed. Drink it immediately after your lifting workout when your body is most agreeable to absorbing the protein.