Are potatoes good or bad for you?

Options
Are they good or bad? Mainly jacket potatoes with the skin on. I know there I fiber in ther but I'm not sure if it's something I should eat a very small portion of or not.

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Who ever answers this thread better say YES... I simply love potatoes!!! :)

I know they are a starch.. carb count is high :( - but ohhhhh sooooo gooooooood
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda using them to nsure I get the calories an carbs as I tend to just eat salad or veggies with meat but sometimes need to fill up on other bits too.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes very good

Potatoes good

Potatoes provide the body with an essential source of fuel and energy, which you need even when dieting

Surprisingly rich in immune-boosting Vitamin C, a medium potato (150g) with the skin provides 27mg, almost half of the recommended daily intake

It is thought that a few good servings of potatoes a day would have some blood-pressure lowering activity.

The B vitamins in potatoes also protect arteries. Vitamin B6, found in potatoes, reduces levels of a molecule called homocysteine which is involved in inflammation and the furring up of arteries. High homocysteine levels are associated with a significantly increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

etc

Taken from
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1206765/Why-potatoes-suprising-health-benefit-key-lasting-weight-loss.html
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    potatoes are fine. i usually have a baked potato for dinner or something similar. just make sure you are within all your limits at the end of the day.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good news then!

I know a lot of people have said how sweet potatoes are good but ive tried them a couple of times in the past and really don't like them. Not many things I don't like but that is one.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    From the potato family Sweet Potatoes are the best. However, don't just load up on potatoes to eat carbs, there are better carbs out there.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm in the go ahead and eat it group. Just don't smother it with butter and sour cream.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    From the potato family Sweet Potatoes are the best. However, don't just load up on potatoes to eat carbs, there are better carbs out there.

^^ This....

Remember - MODERATION is really the key. You want a potato? Fine - make sure you have the calories / macros to cover it. I wouldn't necessarily eat them every day..and be mindful of what you are putting ON that potato, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about white potatoes, even the experts can't agree on this one. Good luck getting a consensus on here. :wink:
  • samanthakre
    Options
    I've always heard sweet potatoes are the best out of the potato family, and to stay away from white potatoes all together...but it doesn't seem like everyone else has heard the same!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time.. just moderation and weigh them out... bake and not fried.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they're bad for me, nutritionally, but baked white potatoes do spike my insulin and trigger rebound cravings. Or maybe it's all in my mind, but whatever... they give me the munchies. I don't have that problem with baked sweet potatoes.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    potatoes are also higher in potassium than bananas!

Love potatoes. I skip the butter and sour cream these days and throw on some greek yogurt and sometimes a few bacon bits (oscar mayer has a fresher kind and only 20cals)
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    Myself personaly I believe potatoes got a bad rap. It's what you use on that potato if you smoother it in sour cream and bacon bits and call it a potato in your calorie count well guess what.:happy: your off by a few calories.

Go ahead have your potato at 100 calories or so not much more than that apple or orange.

Enjoy your potato.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From the potato family Sweet Potatoes are the best.

Sweet potatoes and potatoes are actually not in the same family. Potatoes come in a variety of shapes and colors, but sweet potatoes aren't one of them. Potatoes are in the same botanical family as tomatoes and eggplant. Sweet potatoes are in the same family as the morning glory flower.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are very good for you............they get a bad rap because of the STUFF that we put on them!

Bake 'em, a bit of salt, and YES, you can have some butter (just not a freakin' HALF CUP!), and if you're from the Midwest, TOP THE TATER is awesome. Two tbps only 60 calories :) nom nom................
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I ate one once and my head exploded.

Weigh it, eat it. log it, they're fine.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes several times a week...

I am going to go out on a limb and say they didn't hinder my weight loss or fat loss (I used to have a whopping 56% body fat, now I have around 23%).

The thing is, try to eat an actual potato and not the greasy potato skins, french fries, etc that are processed beyond all recognition as an actual, nutrient-rich food (although it's not going to kill you to indulge in a treat every once in a while - just fit it into your goals)
  • DivaDiane
    Options
    Choose a medium sized potato, top with salsa, a bit of Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), and a little shredded cheese, perhaps a couple of sliced jalapenos. Eat the skin, too. Yummy.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. Sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, tater tots ... mmmmmm