Pedometers

Options
Hi all -

shortly after I started this journey, I bought a pedometer... as a way to get moving, etc.. (I have a desk job.). Anyway, I'm becoming frustrated by it... it does not correctly count my steps.. literally, I just paced out 20 steps almost 8 times and got 8 different answers (none above 10).

Any suggestions on a new one? (The one I currently have is a sportline 343.)

thanks!
Karen

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron HJ-112 ..... just got it.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328904028&sr=8-1

I bought it because it had like a zillion good reviews. I can clip it to my shoe or stick it in my pocket. Not all pedometers measure "both" types of movement. I have not used it much yet, so far so good. You do set up your stride. It's my understanding that most (all?) pedometers play catch up. Meaning you start walking ..... pedometer says zero for like 4 seconds and then catches up. You might need a longer "test."
  • kdhoff
    kdhoff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I'll check this out for sure.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron pedometer as well and it says to do a test 100 steps and then can adjust the sensitivity.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not strictly a pedometer, but I use the fitness part of my iPod nano(?) It has been very accurate recording the steps and the calories burned (I've checked this with my HRM, and the distances with google maps)
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I also use the pedometer function of my iPod nano and it not only tracks my steps but my distance, time and calories burned as well.
  • purplerain011
    Options
    Omron is definitely the way to go. I have had mine (Omron walking style II) for more than 6 months never had any problems with it.
  • kdhoff
    kdhoff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I'll have to try the Omron pedometer...

Is the program for hte Ipod Nano available for the touch as well? What is the apps name?

thanks again everyone!!