Personal Trainer?

Options
So, I am officially disgusted with myself. Hit an all-time high (in my weight). I work every day, am married, blah blah, so I dont have gym time penciled into my week like I should. I have been considering joining a gym this summer and getting a personal trainer to help whip my butt into shape (Literally!!). I dont work during the summer, so I figured it was a good enough excuse. Anyone had any experiences? Comments?

Replies

• JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So, I am officially disgusted with myself. Hit an all-time high (in my weight). I work every day, am married, blah blah, so I dont have gym time penciled into my week like I should. I have been considering joining a gym this summer and getting a personal trainer to help whip my butt into shape (Literally!!). I dont work during the summer, so I figured it was a good enough excuse. Anyone had any experiences? Comments?
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would go for it. I am working with a personal trainer and absolutely love it. It's a little expensive, but it's really worth it. He really pushes me and I've learned a lot of good things that I can use after my sessions with him are done. Plus, I know that since I'm paying for him and the sessions, I have no choice but to go. I would definitely give a few personal training sessions a try. Hopefully you'll get a good trainer. Mine is really great.
  • chichi2100
    Options
    :smile: My cousin was always overweight. She tried every diet and she would see results, but nothing that took her out of the overweight category. She has had a personal trainer now for a little over a year and looks amazing. Her trainer taught her how to eat and pushed her at every workout. She is about 5'2" and weighs in at about 135. She was high in the the 200's maybe even pushing 300 for a little bit. Personal trainers are the best investments anyone could make. I go to the gym now everyday and don't see any results. I eat correctly, but stay stable. I just want to lose about 20lbs. If I had the money I would def get a personal trainer to take those few extra pounds off. So, if I was you I would def get a trainer!!!!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a trainer as well, even if it is for one or 2 sessions. The trainer will show you what exercises to do to target the areas you want to work on. That was my plan when I got a trainer and now its been 4 months and I am still with the same trainer. He is great. Best investment I have done. It is expensive but it is worth it.
  • JenS2009
    Options
    I would go for it. I am working with a personal trainer and absolutely love it. It's a little expensive, but it's really worth it. He really pushes me and I've learned a lot of good things that I can use after my sessions with him are done. Plus, I know that since I'm paying for him and the sessions, I have no choice but to go. I would definitely give a few personal training sessions a try. Hopefully you'll get a good trainer. Mine is really great.

Thanks for the good words and encouragement to all of you! I was thinking the same thing in the "I paid for it and have someone waiting for me, so I HAVE to go". Think I will give it a try! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A trainer can be a great motivational and resource tool IF you get a good one. There are a couple types of trainers out there:

Those that have a degree in something like exercise science, sport medicine, or something similar, and have a widely-recognized certification through one of the main organizations like the Ntnl. Strength and Conditioning Assoc. or the American College of Sports Medicine.

Then there are those who graduated high school, weren't sure what to do, but liked the gym so they spent the money for the study materials for a less-thorough exam (I'm not going to name names, but there are some 'easier' ones out there) and have a general idea of what you should be doing.

Either one can be good or bad, but you generally want someone with quality credentials or a lot of experience leading others to success. In general, some high school kid with a certificate isn't going to provide you the same experience you'll get from someone who has done several shows or trained other people for shows or competition in some way.

The worst ones are those who don't use actual science to create their programs, who don't know how to to explain themselves to you, who don't continue educating themselves, and who just parrot what they read in Muscle & Fitness. They will usually never correct your form and will tell you to eat inordinate amounts of protein or some other fad diet trend.

Your trainer should correct your form, explain why they've chosen certain exercises, and make your program specific to your goals. Anyone can go online and print out someone else's program. You're paying this person to make something for YOU so YOU can succeed.
  • JenS2009
    Options
    A trainer can be a great motivational and resource tool IF you get a good one. There are a couple types of trainers out there:

Those that have a degree in something like exercise science, sport medicine, or something similar, and have a widely-recognized certification through one of the main organizations like the Ntnl. Strength and Conditioning Assoc. or the American College of Sports Medicine.

Then there are those who graduated high school, weren't sure what to do, but liked the gym so they spent the money for the study materials for a less-thorough exam (I'm not going to name names, but there are some 'easier' ones out there) and have a general idea of what you should be doing.

Either one can be good or bad, but you generally want someone with quality credentials or a lot of experience leading others to success. In general, some high school kid with a certificate isn't going to provide you the same experience you'll get from someone who has done several shows or trained other people for shows or competition in some way.

The worst ones are those who don't use actual science to create their programs, who don't know how to to explain themselves to you, who don't continue educating themselves, and who just parrot what they read in Muscle & Fitness. They will usually never correct your form and will tell you to eat inordinate amounts of protein or some other fad diet trend.

Your trainer should correct your form, explain why they've chosen certain exercises, and make your program specific to your goals. Anyone can go online and print out someone else's program. You're paying this person to make something for YOU so YOU can succeed.

Awesome info. That's the stuff I need to hear. Thank you so much... and I will be sure to do my homework on these trainers! :grumble: