Replies

• alisonjaneyelland
    alisonjaneyelland Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do 10 mins on my stepper and 50 sit ups every day
  • TexasRaised89
    TexasRaised89 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at home for almost 1 year. I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for months and lost over 30 pounds in the beginning. All you need is two dumb bells, the dvd itself and a workout mat. I now do Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed & Shred. Same equipment needed. i also go running the trails in the park. I had an elliptical I used daily but it recently broke in the last month.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, a step, and a BodyBar....the BodyBar I love and highly recommend.
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme (heavy strength training) and Turbofire are my 2 favs!!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use the fitness programs on my cable on demand menu, walk around the apartment complex (most of the time pushing the baby in the stroller), play games on the wii (can't wait to have some fitness games besides just the sports games), turn on some music and just dance, and I have borrowed a bunch of my mom's Richard Simmons VHS and DVD's. I'm gonna start riding my husbands bike around the apartment complex when it warms up a little...I figure by then I'll be in better shape to do it. I'm also looking on craigslist for fitness games for the wii and some weights or other things to help me out more too.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Insanity program (by Beachbody). I'm new to myfitnesspal but I did insanity about 6 months ago and it starts to show results in like a week...you just have to push through the first week or two of muscle soreness. It's harder than most workouts you could put together yourself at the gym...

it's expensive, but i'm sure you can find a way around that...as I did. Although it's probably worth the high pricetag...

All the other beachbody products are also hugely popular, but I think Insanity is the most effective and it requires no equipment.

I completely agree. If you live in Canada, look on Kijiji to see if you can get one at a deal. P90X is supposed to be as good, but I love Insanity. It kills me, but you have to push through! I have lost 8 lbs in the first month and I wasn't eating the healthiest.
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    kettlebells are awesome! I have two different sizes and started with this workout

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

and now I add more to it like lunges, pushups, abs etc. Gives me an awesome 30 min workout. I start with 200 jumping jacks and love to end it with 75 kettlebell swings.

Enjoy :)
  • sarawoertink
    sarawoertink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    since you've already been in the gym, this may be too easy for you, but for somebody like me (who has not worked out in about 2 years), it is perfect. I got the *****cat Dolls "A Dancer's Body" workout dvd and I love it! It's slightly cheesy, but fun. It is not difficult, but it still make me move and strike up a sweat. It may be too easy for you and you may be looking for more strength building, but it is a fun way to do a light workout.
  • lillystargazer
    Options
    I workout at home, I can't afford a gym membership.

I have an elliptical type machine, a stair stepper, and I often use a jump rope. I will be getting weights and hopefully a treadmill soon. There's also workout videos provided through my cable service. If you have Comcast, check the On Demand feature and they're on the fitness section. I'm sure other providers offer them, too. :)
  • Lkbaker
    Lkbaker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do workout videos. Leslie Sansone has great walking video series if you don't own a treadmill, it's nice to have those. I also have the Slim in 6 series and just got the Mama wants her body back series. Find what you like and try the library or netflix for videos.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is all based on your fitness goals. Some people are ok with some DVD's and resistance bands. Others have a whole gym with free weights, treadmill, etc.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels videos are great. I workout on a treadmill, adding a compact bike and elliptical as well and use weights for upper body cardio if I am not running. I really think walking on an incline while working the upper body burns almost doube what just walking alone does.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Zumba on the WII its a blast and really burns the calories.
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing the following workouts:

30 Day Shred (hand weights and mat)
    Biggest Loser (hand weights and mat)
    Zumba
    Gold's Gym Dance Workout for the Wii
    Zumba for the Wii
    The Firm Cardio Weight System (hand weights and mat)
    The Firm Express (hand weights and mat)
    Walking DVD's

Like someone else stated, I have countless dvd's that were purchased from Wal-Mart, KMart, and Amazon.com.
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    I have to cancel my gym membership its getting to expensive :/

What are some must haves to workout at home?

What do you recommend doing?

Open your front door! You have the biggest and best gym there is and that is called the great outdoors!!! Explore it , have fun it's free!! Your only limitation on workout potential is your imagination!! I lost my job 2 days before Christmas and was gutted, but oppurtunity knocks!! and guess what? It's awesome, give it a go you may just be surprised!!
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have the following workout DVD's: Turbo Jam, JM 30DS and Killer Buns and Thighs, Callanetics, 17 workout and a couple walk away the pounds (2 mile and 4 mile. I also use my Wii on days I don't have time (or energy) to do a full workout. Right now I have Just Dance and I'm waiting on Zumba 2 to arrive. Oh, I also just ordered Supreme 90 Days too. I have a set of hand weights, a balance ball and a yoga mat. A HRM is a must for my at home workouts!
  • tfrancoeur
    Options
    there are some good FREE workouts on the Dr. Oz website too. I use my wii for the most part and add in walking, but sometimes I will use one of his workouts because they are short and sweet. It is nice to be able to switch things up a bit.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I actually prefer it to the gym and machines (which I find extremely boring!). I do Turbo Jam, Step, Les Mills Pump. Next I want to get the Turbo Fire package. If I feel like mixing it up, I find something that looks interesting on demand (Comcast). beachbocy.com has a lot of good options. They come with the dvds and all equipment you will need. I know it seems expensive up front, but these are things you can go back to forever. I purchased the Turbo Jam like 6 years ago and have come back to using it. I love it. I set up my own gym in a spare bedroom of my house. I just pick a different video every day. Keeps it interesting.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Aye I do. I use "The Wave" from The Firm. Their video "Speed Slimming Sculpt". I also do some on the Elliptical and finish it up with 40 count Planks.