Confused about how many cals to eat

Options
Background- 32 yr old female. Sahm chasing after kids all day. Workout 5 days a week 30-60 mins (30ds, treadmill). Weight 146.5. 5'7. Trying to lose the last 10-12 baby lbs.

I started on jan. 1 with mfp. Ive lost 5.5 lbs, but none in the last 2.5 weeks. I am leaner and my pants fit better, but the scale is stuck. I get 1390 cals, add in an extra 300 for breastfeeding, and eat back almost all of my exericse cals. I wear a hrm (polar ft4) to get cals burned. I usually net between 1200-1350 a day. I have a free day on Sats where I dont log, but ends up being a cheat meal moreso than a day.

I am wondering if myn cals are set too low? I should be losing something each week with a net of 1200-1350 a day, right? Is breastfeeding to blame? Should I be giving myself 500 cals for that? I nurse 3-4 times a day, usually 4.

Any insight?

Replies

• sburens
    sburens Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started at 150 and I am 5'7", 29yo, I too lost right away and was stuck for almost 3 weeks. I eat around 1200 calories each day and eat about half of my exercise calories back.

This is what I would say as I am now down to about 133...you are close to your goal and the last 10-15 pounds are the hardest to lose! I can say just keep with what you are doing. I did and it worked, I started to lose about .5/week. I don't have much more to lose but my baby fat is hanging on... Oh how I love the little ones but not what they have added to my body :) It is all worth it and wouldn't trade it for the world!

Good luck...just keep going!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I've heard/read that those last 5-10 pounds can be almost impossible to lose until we wean. We have fat stores added to allow for BFing and then the breasts themselves are heavier.
  • pcolvard
    Options
    I would just keep doing what you're doing. I think you've got it all calculated pretty well. I don't think you should adjust calories. I think it's just going to take awhile. And I agree that you may not lose those last 5 or so until you stop nursing or are almost done. I always lose about 5 more pounds toward the end of nursing (when I'm down to about 1 or 2 sessions a day).

eta- I have about 4 lbs left to lose. I lost a couple from the get-go last month like you did, but I the scale won't budge anymore. Part of that may also be building muscle.